Monday, June 3, 2019

Unless the Lord …… (III) Security and provision

The Lord brought me back this morning, to a memory of being in the States years ago, and loosing my passport the day before I was due to fly out to Australia. In the rushed process of trying to obtain a new passport and necessary visa, I was to say the least, somewhat stressed. But when I had done all that I could do, I was able to relax and to absorb what my friend was telling me about a new publication he had been reading while making my rounds. My calm immediately after the stress surprised him. But my philosophy of life at the time, which at some level was working, was that you do what you can in situations like that, and then you leave it to the Lord. What I had yet to learn was not to stress while doing everything reasonable that can be done. It all worked out by the way, my passport had been found on the bus and turned in.

In this third post on Psalm 127 we are looking first at “Unless the LORD guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain” (verse 1b). The Psalmist is not suggesting that the watchman should not be posted, but rather that when we do our part the Lord will do His. The next part is brought out well in the Message translation “It’s useless to rise early and go to bed late, and work your worried fingers to the bone” (verse 2a), fretting about never having enough. The same principle applies. He is not suggesting we don’t do our fair share of work. Rather, as Jesus put it “Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met” (Matthew 6:33 Message).

When I am starting to feel anxious as, for some inexplicable reason, I am this morning, I start by acknowledging my anxiety, and talking to the Lord about it. I think that is why He reminded me of the above incident. The festivals of Israel served much the same purpose in that they were reminders of His faithfulness. He is also reminding me how foolish, destructive and unnecessary is our (my) fretting (Psalm 37:8). But also that I have a choice to dwell on my thoughts and anxieties, or to replace fretting with joy, praise, and with prayer and supplication with thanksgiving. We may need to practice, practice, practice this, but He has promised will give us peace and rest and sleep (Philippians 4:4-8; Psalm 127:3). And I suspect that He allows these things, because if we do things His way, they will draw us deeper into His embrace.

Father, I am needing to cling to you this morning, but with Your help I will fear neither irrational night terrors nor the noisome pestilence etc., etc. Thank You Lord that You have promised that when we choose to dwell in the secret place and to make You our refuge, then no plague will come near our dwelling (Psalm 91). Thank You Lord that You give Your beloved sleep and rest, and I receive this now, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment