Sunday, June 9, 2019

"Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord

I was talking last day about dealing with the irritations of life, interactions that come out of the “games” we have learned to play from our families of origin. I also hinted at difficulties I had had with obsessive thinking. You know what I am talking about, thoughts that go round and round, “stinking thinking” that is part and parcel of depression. Don’t get me wrong I am not saying all depression is about this. Rather I am saying that whether this is part of cause and effect or not, it is nevertheless a strong component of depression. But in any case, in the issue I am raising this morning is a big part of what needs to happen to be free of such thinking. In the context of this quote from Romans 12:19 we are told not to repay evil with evil (verse 17). When the damage is severe, I don’t know how anyone can obey this admonition with out a strong relationship with the Lord. I say this because the default of fallen man is to do exactly that.

It's not too bad if you are only dealing with the sort of irritation I was talking about yesterday. I am not saying that that is necessarily easy, especially if you are exposed to it day in day out. But when we have been let down badly, betrayed, abused, dismissed, rejected and marginalized over and over, it is taken to a whole new level. I recall the saying that “in order to heal, the victim has to be the better person.” If we do not find (with His help), the inner resources to “make room for God to do the revenge” (verse 19), then feuds can result. Without saying who is right or wrong, look at what has happened to the descendants of the two sons of Abraham. I am not just talking about the Israel Palestinian conflict, it is far far wider.

I am not a pacifist, but I can see how this passage can be interpreted as an admonition to be one. In particular, verse 18 says “If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live at peace with all men.” Clearly is it not always possible. It takes two to be at peace. Biblical peace is not just the absence of hostility, it is fullness of reconciliation, and it may need to be a process. It works best when we are doing it with the verse I keep bringing back to us again and again “Confess your faults one to another and pray for one another that you may be healed” (James 5:16). There are times however when “one who is overtaken in a fault” needs to be restored “in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted” (Galatians 6:1). Since it “you who are spiritual” who are admonished to do this, you and I may need to wait until we have dealt with your anger, bitterness, blame and any trace of judgement.

Lord, since You are actively working in everything that happens for good for Your followers (Romans 8:28), then we need to temper each and every one of our responses from the perspective of heaven. Thank You Father for those You allow in our lives to to train us in these things. Help us Lord to know Lord when we have dealt with things sufficiently in our lives to approach those with whom we are still not living at peace. And help us Lord to know when we have truly done all in terms of “as much as it depends” on us. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment