Monday, February 17, 2020

“Those who are well have no need of a physician

... but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance” (Mark 2:17). Jesus had just had one of His many encounters with the Pharisees. This time He was being criticized for eating with the tax collectors and sinners. We are not told precisely who the sinners were, nor what was the precise nature of their sin, but they were certainly not Pharisees, at least at this point in time (c.f. Luke 7:40-43). It we take this verse on its own, rather than in the context of the whole of the gospels, it would be easy to think that Jesus was saying that the Pharisees were righteous. But elsewhere He tells us that “Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees you will in no wise enter the kingdom” (Matthew 5:20). The scriptures also tell us that all our (self) righteousness is as filthy rags in the Lord's sight (Isaiah 64:6). So what is going on here? Does the Lord not want to reach Pharisees?

Well, the Lord is not willing that any should perish but all come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). But this occasion was not the time to preach the gospel to them. In their self righteousness they could not hear. I have often said we can't understand the good news until we understand the bad (i.e. Romans 3:23). Perhaps He was provoking them to jealousy (c.f. Romans 11:14). But in any case , He came to seek and to save the lost (Luke 19:10). Here He was seeking to save those who knew perfectly well they were lost. Though our society is a far cry from the religiosity of ancient Israel, the same divide is apparent in our culture. I hear people saying “I am a good person,” and from those who have a passing acknowledgement that there is a God, that “He will judge my good works along with my bad.” This, as if somehow helping little old ladies across the street would somehow atone for sins. God is a God of justice, and what we need is mercy not justice!

So the question we need to ask ourselves this morning is “Do I need the great Physician?” If I have cancer, but refuse to acknowledge it, I will not likely go to the Doctor. If I do not acknowledge my sin, I cannot claim the promise of forgiveness to those who confess it (1 John 1:9). And when we do not confess our sins, not only are we not forgiven, but “our bones waste away” (Psalm 32:3). I am quoting David of course, who is telling us poetically that unconfessed sin leads to sickness of both body and soul. Using the same picture David, in the “repentance” Psalm, cries out “Make me hear joy and gladness, that the bones You have broken may rejoice. Hide Your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.” He goes on to ask “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me” (51:8-10).

Father, there is no greater joy than knowing that my sins are forgiven that I am cleanse from the pollution of it all, and You are renewing my spirit day by day. I confess that my sins were like scarlet, but now, by Your mercy, they are as white as freshly fallen snow (Isaiah 1:18). Thanks for the analogy Lord, but not too much more please (snow) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment