Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Why are you cast down, O my soul? ...

... And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance (Psalm 42:5). The Psalmist particular difficulty seems to have been his exile from fellowship of the saints at the Temple (verse 4), and as do many of us, he finds himself with a heart for God, but struggling under the pressures of circumstances. There is this tendency for us to put on a brave face, a “nothing bothers me” outward appearance that minimizes the struggles we all have. We seem to feel somehow if we are not always walking in glorious victory, we have somehow let the side down. But even Jesus struggled, and could cry out “Now is my soul troubled” (John 12:27). When we minimize, and/or deny that we struggle, we do not come across as real. And if we do this in leadership, we essentially encourage them like us, to wear masks and not to be real!

There is a big difference between practicing and pretending. I am called to rejoice in the Lord always, but if you tell me you always rejoice, I am sorry, but I don't believe you. Many of the commands of the Scripture are goals to seek to attain, not places at which where we arrive without ongoing struggle. Let me paraphrase 1 Corinthians 10:12 – let he who pretends that he always has it together take care lest he fall! We cannot put into practice the Biblical command to confess our faults one to another (James 5:16) if we do not admit to ourselves and others that “in many things we all fail” (James 3:2). Note “many things,” and “all!” In order to obey the twice repeated command to rejoice always (Philippians 4:4), we need to practice, practice, practice. There are many things that seek to steal our joy. I find I need to keep repenting of the fact that I have allowed the evil one to use people and circumstances to interrupt it. There is a book I have never read, but the title says it all “Repentance, the joy filled life.” It is practice, practice, practice.

There is a process of moving into, and substantially staying in, the victorious Christian life. The Psalmist shows us the way. In particular he councils himself “Soul,” he asks himself “why are you disquieted within me?” Is there some known sin not confessed, is there some resentment I am holding onto, am I beating myself up for something I did, what have I allowed, or am allowing myself to be discouraged by? He then instructs himself to “Hope in God,” and then choose in faith to believe that whatever it is, God will bring him through to the place where once again he can enter into praise.

Father, in the midst of many who are wearing masks and pretending that they have it all together, it is very tempting to put on the same mask. We don't want to appear weak Lord, but if I always appear to be strong how does that help those who are struggling? The feel they could never be like us (God forbid!). I need to demonstrate You bringing me through my difficulties, to give them hope You can bring them through theirs. Help us to be open and vulnerable Lord, and be willing to admit it when we are weak, for in reality, it is then that we are strong (2 Corinthians 12:10) In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment