Friday, May 29, 2020

I have more understanding than all my teachers

.... For Your testimonies are my meditation.  I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Your precepts. Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path (Psalm 119:99, 100, 105). What we have here, are two examples of Hebrew poetry, the frequent repetition of essentially the same concept,  but often with subtle differences.  So in the first instance understanding comes (a) because the Psalmist meditates on the Lord's testimonies, and (b) because he keeps His precepts.  The Hebrew word translated as testimony here can mean witness, but it can also mean “statute,” or “regulation.” The dictionary defines precept as a “statute a law enacted by the legislative branch of a government.”  Ancient Israel of course was a theocracy, and the precepts were given at the times when it was governed by God.  As a boy I would hear the oft repeated phrase “read, mark, learn and inwardly digest” in other words medite on the concept being taught. “Keep” of course has to do with obedience.

You have to wonder if the wide and persistent occurrence of antisemitism has something to do with jealousy at the success of the Jew. I am sure blame also plays a role. But there has to be a reason that the Jews have more Nobel prizes per capita than any other people group, and why Israel is called the startup Nation. I mean it's called the startup Nation because it has more successful innovations per capita than any other nation. And I think the principle is these first two verses is the primary explanation.  In particular success is promised in all we do when we meditate day and night on His laws (Psalm 1:4, 2).  And the fear of the Lord (leading to obediences) is the beginning of wisdom (Proverbs 9:10).  Certainly Israel is not perfect, but it does have God's statutes and precepts as an enduring part of its heritage.

The second Example of Hebrew poetry in this morning's reading is in verse 105 above. And it has to do with the guidance and protection. “But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the boastful, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked (Psalm 73:2, 3). It's talking about a snare, his feet had almost slipped until he “understood their end” (verse 17), and that as the statutes and precepts make clear there is judgement for the wicked.  The second part is guidance, when we trust the Lord with all out  heart and lean not unto our own understanding, acknowledges Him in all our ways (keep His precepts) He has promised to direct our steps and make our paths straight (Proverbs 3:5, 6).

Father, Your Word tells us that Your people are destroyed for lack of knowledge and because it is resisted (Hosea 4:6). The word “all” in the Proverbs quotation is important. If You are not Lord of all, You are not Lord of all, but also just one disobedience is a chink in our armour. Lord I pray this morning that You will come under the radar of our excuses and of our rationalization. It is the truth that sets us, and keeps us,  free.  Give us hearts to obey this morning Lord, and hearts of  compassion to pray for,  and love,  those who are suffering because of their disobedience in Jesus Name Amen

Archives in philheathsblog.blogspot.com
To share go to my Facebook page,  or to the archives in philheathsblog.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment