Saturday, July 11, 2020

And those who know Your name will put their trust in You

....  For You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You (Psalm 9:10).  In English,  a name is often little more than a means of identification.  Names such as Fred Thompson, or  George Williamson etc., originally indicated that this Fred (among the many Freds) is Tom's son, and this particular George,  is William's son.  It's not like this in Jewish thought. In Jewish thought the name conveys the nature and character of the person named. It represents his or her  history and reputation.  God has many names and each one is significant.  God's name in this morning's verse,  is Yahweh. This Name was first revealed to Moses when God called him to lead the children of Israel our of Egypt. Moses asked who he should tell them had sent him. The Lord answers “Yahweh.”

In our English Bible Yahweh is translated “I AM WHO I AM.” There are many things to say about it.  Firstly, Yahweh answers the question “Who made God?” The answer is that “Nobody made God. God simply is. He always was!”! Secondly He is the essence of being, God is absolute reality.  All things were made through Him,  and without Him nothing was made that was made (John 1:3),  no space, no universe, not even  emptiness. Only God. Thirdly God is utterly independent, He needs no support, He needs no council (Romans 11:34). On the other hand everything that is not God depends totally on Him.  “In Him all things hold together” (Colossians 1:16, 17).  I AM WHO I AM is the very essence of being. He is the creator and sustainer of the universe.  He is constant, faithful, reliable, He is the same yesterday, today, and forever  (Hebrews 3:8).  He is not becoming anything, there is no need, He is perfect on all of His ways.  He is who He is, He simply is!

We tend to use the word “God” as if we understand what we mean, but if we could fully understand God we would be God! That does not mean we cannot understand something about Him. This morning's verse  tells us that we can put our trust in Him because He has a history of not forsaking those who trust Him. In other words faithfulness is part of His character, He is utterly trustworthy.   Those who know His Name, know this, know His character. How can we put our trust in someone we don't know? That's why seeking God, seeking to know Him,  is so very important. Moses was not asking "what should I call You" rather, He was asking "who are you; what are you like; what have you done."  God answers that He is eternal, that He is the God of History,  He sees our affliction and He will deliver us from our bondage.

Father, You are reminding me of my testimony this morning, You heard my cry, and  brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay. You set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps. You put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to You my God. And Lord You have promised that many will see it and fear, and will put their trust in You,  Yahweh (Psalm 40:1-3). It is part of Your promise that when I know Your Name  I will be the first born of many brethren (Romans 8:19) and I give You  praise and glory in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment