Wednesday, July 22, 2020

I want to do what is good, but I don’t

....  I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway (Romans  7:19).  An alcoholic friend told me one time “There are many things in the Bible that I don't understand, but I understand this one! It's called sin, it's not politically correct language, but it is reality. Sin is about falling short of God's perfection,  and that is each and every one of us (3:23).” Someone put it this way, we're not sinners because we sin, we sin because we're sinners. In other words in our natural fallen state,  the default is to do the wrong and avoid the good.  There are many in our world who will claim that mankind is basically good, but  on my own journey to Christ I came to understand that much of my own “goodness” had more to do with the rewards and consequences of my actions. But is that really goodness, or is it wisdom?

In this passage Paul speaks of this morning verse as so predictable as to be  a law.  And he describes the resulting struggle as a kind of civil war within, a war that in the natural we loose and are brought into captivity (7:23).  This is well illustrated by our addictions, hidden or not so hidden. I hear things all the time  like “I could stop anytime, I just don't want to!” But it is only when you try to stop that you understand what Paul is talking about here. Up until that time, you are in denial about this universal aspect of our fallen human nature. When we try,  and then fail to control these things,  we will likely cry out with Paul “O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death” (7:24)? He answers his own question “I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord” (7:25)!

He then goes on to tell us about another law “the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus that has set me free from the law of sin and death” (8:2).  The law of sin and death, is that the soul that sins shall die, or that the wages of sin is death (Ezekiel1 8:20; Romans 6:23a). The last reference goes on the say “but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (6:23b).  We need to peek into tomorrow's readings to understand the law of the Spirit of life. It is that the righteous requirement of the law is be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit  (8:4). Or to put it another way “if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if,  by the Spirit,  you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live” (8:13).  And the benefit, the gift of 6:23b,  is that  “There is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ” (8:1).

Father, the writer to the Hebrews warns “How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation” (Hebrews 2:3)? He admonishes us to “give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away” (2:1).  You have no pleasure Lord in those who play church, You would rather that we were cold than lukewarm (Revelation 3:15,16). So this morning Father please expose in us any wickedness, and lead us in the everlasting way in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment