Thursday, July 30, 2020

The LORD is my shepherd (Psalm 23)

This beloved Psalm never gets old. It is a go to Psalm,  in times of trial, or when we're in need of inspiration. The Lord is my personal shepherd, He pastors me, I am His sheep, he knows me, I am in relationship with Him,  and I hear is voice (John 10:27). As part of this,  “I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures” (1b, 2a). He not only feeds me, but as I follow Him He supplies all of my needs according to His riches in glory (Philippians 4:19). “He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul” (2b, 3a). He leads me, He does not force or control me, though as in 2a, He may interrupt my frantic activity by circumstances,  making me lie down, or slow down. It is however for me, He loves me, He's pastoring me. He invites me “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10), and in the stillness of His presence there's healing, restoration and fullness of life  (John 10:10b).

“He leads me in the paths of righteousness,  for His name’s sake” (3b). His Word is a lamp to my feet, it guides me along life's paths and keeps me safe. In following His Word there is both provision and protection. He does this,  not for any righteousness of  mine, but for His Name's sake. It is part of His character,  it's who He is.  “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me” (4:a, b,c). Death is not to be feared by the one who is following the Shepherd – for “to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:8). There are many deaths, the death of our dreams, the death of a relationship etc. But He is “with us” in the difficult times. He suffered for us,  and He suffers with us (Philippians 3:10).

“Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me” (4d). Whom the Lord loves He chastens, and even in His chastening He is the God of all comfort (Hebrews 12:6; 2 Corinthians 1:3). “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies” (5a). When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him (Proverbs 16:7). I have experienced this in my own walk! “You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over” (5b). When we walk in the fullness of Spirit, neither grieving nor quenching Him,  our cup indeed overflows with the joy of His presence (Psalm 16:11 again). “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever” (6). God's mercy and goodness pursue us, we don't have to earn it, they are right there, they are  freely available. And we shall indeed dwell in God's dwelling place (heaven) for ever,  and ever,  and ever, Amen!

Father, thank You that with Your help I have sought to love You with all my heart,  mind, soul and strengthen, I have learned to say with Paul for me to live is Christ and to die is gain. I praise You Father that Your Word is true and Your paths are pure. I love You Lord, I love You Jesus, I love You Holy Spirit. Three in One love You in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment