Tuesday, September 1, 2020

(Christ) died for all, in order that

.... those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again. Therefore, from now on, we regard no one from a worldly point of view (2 Corinthians 5:15, 16). “Those who live” are those who were once dead in trespasses and sins, who followed the ways of this world, those who lived according to the sinful nature (Ephesians 2:1, 2). This morning's verses are telling us that there was a purpose in Christ dying.  It is that those of us He rescued from eternal death, hell and destruction should no longer follow the ways of the World. Instead, we should live for Him. So then is it all about me, or all about Jesus?  Do I live to please myself, or do I live to please the Lord?  Is my life in the ongoing process of being changed from glory to glory (3:18), or am I either stuck, or worse left completely unchanged?

I am not asking these questions to condemn, for there is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ (Romans 8:1). Though, as we were saying yesterday, we will have to give an account (verse 10). No, I am asking these questions to challenge myself (and you), to ask if I really am living for Him. There are many aspects to this, in this morning's passage our attention is being drawn to how we think about and deal with ourselves and others (verse 16).  Do we regard ourselves and others as new creations with the old gone (verse 17). Are we looking for the treasure, or the trash? Do we see ourselves and others as God sees us? In calling us saints, He is seeing the best version that you and I can be.  He is seeing the potential. 

It's not just about how I see others, I am somewhat frustrated with myself this morning. I have been anxious about something that has no eternal value. It is an area of trust that I thought  had victory in. Yet I find myself wrestling with it. I wrestle through to victory (i.e using Philippians 4:4-8) and find peace. The a short time later I am wrestling again. Something in me that I thought was already dead, has to die. It is by the Spirt, but also with my input,  that these things are put to death (Romans 8:13). It seems that we do not die easily to the self, and it is a process.

Father, I ask this morning for myself and my brothers and sisters that You will help us to see ourselves and others as You see us. Help us to be patient with ourselves and others, and to call ourselves up, not out! We are better than our failures! We need Your grace to live for You Lord,  and not for ourselves. It's all about You, it's not about me, as if You should do things my way. You alone are God, and I surrender (again this morning) to Your ways, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment