Saturday, September 12, 2020

In God I have put my trust;

.... I will not be afraid. What can man do to me (Psalm 56:11)? It was not that David was not aware of what man could do to him. In verses 1 and 2 he declares that man would swallow him up, that there are many who fight against him, and that fighting all day his enemies oppress him. David however determines in his heart that “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You” (verse 3). So again, it is not that David is never afraid, rather it is that he will not give into it. And how he does that is that he replaces his fear by choosing to trust in God.  In verse 9 he tells the Lord “When I cry out to You, then my enemies will turn back; This I know, because God is for me.”

Though David experienced the deliverance of the Lord numerous times, they were far from instantaneous. During those times, David  clung to the thought that God is for him. He would strengthen himself in the Lord (1 Samuel 30:6), and this enabled him through faith and patience to endure,  and to wait patiently for Him to act.  Now Paul tells us that “everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures,  and the encouragement they provide,  we might have hope” (Romans 15:4).

So when David asks himself (three times in this passage) “What can man do to me?” He casts it off.  Jesus instructs similarly saying “do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him (Luke 12:4, 5). Related to this we read in Isaiah 51:12 "I, even I, am he who comforts you. Who are you that you fear mere mortals, human beings who are but grass” (Isaiah 51:12)?

Father, Paul asks “If God be for us, who can be against us?” After all it is You who delivered up Your Son for our justification. And when we shun fear and put our trust in You, then with Your help Lord we are not just conquerors,  we are more than conquerors through You who love us (Romans 8:31-37). Help us Lord, to see all of these things as opportunities to trust You and grow in wisdom and faith. Help us Lord each time fear rears it ugly head to choose to trust in You. And we will give You the glory in Jesus Name Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment