Friday, September 4, 2020

For godly sorrow produces repentance

... leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death (2 Corinthians 7:10).  Paul first letter had corrected the Corinthians for a number of things, and it had caused them sorrow (7:8). And for a while that had caused Paul sorrow too, but now he could rejoice,  because in the end it had lead to their repentance.  It is clear that Paul loved the Corinthians, and that it was out of his heart of love that he wrote. All this illustrates well how difficult it is both to give,  and to receive truth even when it is spoken in love.  It is difficult, because many times we want to give the other person a piece of our mind. For me, part of how I judge if I am ready to speak, is by my reluctance (or not) to hurt the other person. If I love the other person I wont want to hurt them, however “faithful are the wounds of a friend” (Proverbs 27:6).


Another reason it's difficult, is that many times  even when truth is spoken in love, the other person gets mad. This also illustrates the
difficulty in receiving truth,  even when spoken in love!  But as the scripture says “the ear that hears the rebukes of life, will abide among the wise” (Proverbs 15:31). On the other hand, the ear that does not hear (and change his ways) is, with this morning's verse, on the path to death. We reap what we sow (Galatians 6:7), and if I love the truth I will want to know where I might be falling short, no matter that is difficult to hear.  I need to ask myself, am I teachable. Proverbs again “rebuke a wise man, and he will love you” (Proverbs 9:8).

So yes the truth can hurt at times. The Bible puts it this way “no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it” (Hebrews 12:11).  Are we willing to be trainied by the rebuke.  Is my sorrow godly sorrow that leads to repentance and life? Or is my sorrow “sorry, I got caught,” or sorrow that reality trips me up when I make poor choices? The no regret part of this morning's verse comes, because I realize that if I had not messed up and suffered the consequences, I would not have repented and not be where I am today. I would not be loving the Lord, and appreciating the wisdom of His ways and and the joy of living for Him.

Lord Jesus, truly You are the Way, the Truth and the Life.  And the abundant life only comes as we  follow You in full obedience, repenting and changing when we are nudged by You to do so. Let our sorrow be godly sorrow Lord, and grant us obedience and repentance.  We are not saved by obedience, we are saved by grace. However it is only in full obedience that we experience life as You intend it to be. It's not that there are no problems, but when I am in fellowship with You,  You give me the grace to rise above it all. Thank You Lord, thank You Father, thank You Holy Spirit.  Hallelujah Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment