Saturday, October 24, 2020

All Scripture is God-breathed

..... and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16, 17).  Paul was referring to what we call the Old Testament. So certainly we need to include the Old Testament in these truths. With regard to  the New Testament,  let me start by saying the phrase God breathed could also be translated God-Spirited.” In fact Scripture is that which “holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 2:21). The apostolic writings then are clearly scripture (see 2 Peter 3:16).  And we can trust that the same Spirit was active in forming the New Testament cannon,  from among the Scriptures circulating in the Churches.  I embrace the Intervarsity Christian Fellowship statement concerning  Scripture which affirms “The unique divine inspiration, entire trustworthiness, and authority of the Bible.” Concerning Scriptures uniqueness, note that  the Holy Spirit warns against adding or subtracting from it (Revelation 22:19).

Certainly Holy Spirt inspires preachers and other writings, but not in the same way it inspired the Bible. In particular, all other writings and teachings need to be tested against the Bible (1 Thessalonians 5:21). The Bible is also unique in that it's inexhaustible. Even after  multiple readings of the same passage,  I can go back to it again and again,  and still find something new and inspiring. There are treasures there old and new (Matthew 15:32)! We unearth them by “meditating day and night” (Psalm 1:2), it's part of diligence (2 Timothy 2:15).  Note  though,  the Bible is not of any private interpretation!  The same Spirit that inspires the Scriptures illuminates them and helps us with the interpretation (2 Peter 1:20; 1 Corinthians 2:13).

Scripture then is profitable for doctrine (teachings), and in particular for the teachings on its own inspiration.  We receive this as a matter of faith not logic.  The Bible invites us to accepted it as truth or not, and  to taste and see that the Lord is good (Psalm 34:8). I read His promises and find Him to be faithful. For example, when I  abide in His Word holding fast to His  teachings and live in accordance with them, then I experience His promise of being in process of becoming increasingly free (John 8:31, 32 Amp). I came to believe what I believe about the Bible because I increasingly saw that “this book knows me.” In particular before conversion I had murder in my heart,  and was so convinced of her guilt and my innocence,  that to this day I am not sure I would not have gone thought with it,  if I through I could have gotten away with it. Then, after being convicted by the Holy Spirit of my own guilt I read “The heart is deceitful above all and desperately wicked” (Jeremiah 17:9). And I knew I was reading truth!

Father, You Word tells us how we can know that Your Word is the Truth, it is by obeying it (John 17:17; 7:17). We find You when we search for You with all our our heart, not with all of our mind (Jeremiah 29:13). It's not that faith is illogical, but it has it own logic,  a logic that is foolishness to the world (1 Corinthians 1:8). And we  are to love You with all of our minds. Thank You Lord for Your Word,  and all its amazing truths and benefits in Jesus Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment