Sunday, October 18, 2020

If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat

.... And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink; For so you will heap coals of fire on his head, and the LORD will reward you (Proverbs 25:21, 22). Except for the last phrase,  these verses are quoted in Romans 12 in the context of the command to live at peace with all,  and to not avenge ourselves (verses 18-20). Paul  adds “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (verse 21). We are being counselled here against two often  default responses to evil. Firstly there vengeance. The world councils us “Don't get mad, get even.”  However “'Vengeance is Mine,' says the Lord  'I will repay'”   (Romans 12:19). The other reated response is to be overcome with it.

Actually, we can become overcome with thoughts of getting even, and in other ways too.  For the longest time I believed the lie that  communication was the problem between myself and some who were opposing me. I became obsessed with what turned out to be an insoluble problem, finding a way to get through to those who were determined not to hear. It took me a long time, and a lot of pain  to learn that there's not a lot of point talking when nobody is listening. There are none so deaf as those who will not hear.   But being overcome in either of these ways is very bad for the one who is overcome. These things change your personality, and not for the better.  Bitterness poisons you and those you love (Hebrews 12:15). In my own obsessive thinking I was not really present for my family. I was irritable and touchy,  and I had a lot of suppressed and unacknowledged anger. And it wasn't my enemies who suffered, they were going  their merry way, it was my family.

The commentators are not in agreement about what “you will heap coals of fire on his head” means. Some think you will  make him burn with shame at the thought of the wrong he has done you. Others think it is the most effectual vengeance you can take upon him.  But in any case the proverbs is about meeting evil with good, coming against it in a practical way in the opposite spirit.  This is very much in accord with Jesus teaching when He said “But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:44, 45).   This is what Jesus would do!

Father, this moving in the opposite spirit is not easy.  As I said the default is to think about our rights, the injustices and the hurt. But offense is the bait of Satan, and is one of his primary tools to derail us. We need Your help here Lord to think,  act, pray and walk in Your image as Children of God. In many ways this is what denying self and taking up our cross  is all about Lord Jesus. Thank You for the Grace You give us to do these things when we surrender everything to You. Indeed half measure profit nothing because it leave chinks in our armour. We surrender, I surrender,  my body soul and spirit to You again this morning Lord as a living sacrifice. Forgive me when I fail, and lead me in Your paths for Your glory in Your precious Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment