Monday, November 2, 2020

For the word of God is living and powerful,

and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.  And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account (Hebrews 4:12, 13). The “For” of verse 12 connects it with the previous verse which tells us to be diligent to enter His rest “so that no one will fall into the same pattern of disobedience” (as Israel did in the wilderness). Now the Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love (Psalm 103:8).  Nevertheless we are responsible for our thoughts,  motives (verse 12),  and our actions. And we  must give an account (verse 13) both in the here and now (Hebrews 12:6), and at the judgment seat of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:10).  In particular the book of Hebrews knows nothing of a post conversion life that remains unchanged.  

I have experienced the piercing, penetrating nature of the Word of God (verse 12). During the breakup of my first marriage I was so convinced of her wickedness and my innocence, that  I had murder in my heart.  To this day I am not at all sure I would not have gone through with it , if I thought I could have gotten away with it. Then I read “the heart is deceitful above all and desperately wicked”  (Jeremiah 17:9). The Holy Spirit was illuminating the word, discerning my rationalization and exposing it, and showing me my denial and excuses for what they were. He was convicting me of sin, righteousness and judgement (John 16:8),  and bringing me to repentance and salvation.

Here is a profound statement (not) we don't know what we don't know. And if it is true that our hearts are deceitful, it is likely that we are (present tense) all deceived at some level.  Most of us can see that everyone else and his dog are deceived, and if we think we are not, it might be wise to ask if I (you) are the only one in the entire universe that is not. The Bible tells us that we suppress the truth in unrighteousness, you know the inconvenient truths of life. But it is true now that  no creature hidden from His sight, and that  all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.  And I don't know about you, but I would rather allow Him to expose them in the here and now, in the day of His mercy, than for them to be exposed on the day of His wrath.

Lord Jesus, just before You went away, You told the disciples there were many things that You  needed to tell them but they were not ready to hear them (John 16:12).  Thank You Lord that You wait to be gracious to us (Isaiah 30:18), give us grace Lord that will allow us to be diligent to allow You to do the necessary heart surgery, and we will give You thanks and praise in Your precious and lovely Name Amen


1 comment:

  1. By "coincidence" this morning's C.S. Lewis reading is the following:-Have we any reason to suppose that total self-knowledge, if it were given to us, would be for our good? Children and fools, we are told, should never look at half-done work; and we are not yet, I trust, even half-done. You and I wouldn't, at all stages, think it wise to tell a pupil exactly what we thought of his quality. It is much more important that he should know what to do next.

    From Letters to Malcolm

    ReplyDelete