Sunday, November 15, 2020

See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God

.... and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many (Hebrews 12:15). The world tells us “Don't get mad, get even!” And I reply tongue in cheek “Don't get mad get even, and poison yourself and everyone you love!” Bitterness is indeed poison. Years ago I encountered a man who, concerning his ex-wife, poured forth venom to me, a complete stranger. Bitterness here, is compared to a root “springing up,” taking over a person, choking life out of them. As the world's saying implies, bitterness is accompanied by malice, strife, and contention. Bitterness in a marriage causes trouble, particularly with the children. And knowingly or unknowingly, puts pressure on them to take sides. It's like tearing them in two! I utterly failed in this area, but God forgives and redeems out mistakes.

Bitterness in others leaves a sour taste in your mouth. All I wanted to do with the man, was to get away. And “defiled” says well what I was feeling. This morning's verse is part of the admonition to “pursue peace with all, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord” (verse 14). This gives us part of the secret of getting rid of bitterness. In particular, it's no use saying “I won't be bitter, I won't be bitter.” What this does, is to continue to focus on the negative aspects of person with whom we are bitter. What I am saying, is that we need to come against the spirit of bitterness, in the opposite spirit. And bitterness is a spirit! Jesus told us to love our enemies and to pray for them (Matthew 5:44), and this too is part of putting bitterness to death.

But how on earth do you do that when the feelings threaten to overwhelm you? In the incident above, I determined that I would never allow myself to become bitter. I wasn't a Christ follower at the time, and I didn't know that, even as a Christian, I would need His principles (i.e the opposite spirit), and His enabling grace, to fulfill that determination. This aspect of God's grace is the ability He gives to accomplish His will. Not falling short of obtaining it requires complete and total surrender. It's part of working out our holiness with fear and trembling. When we do this, He not only gives us the grace we need, but He actually changes our desires, in this case for revenge (Philippians 2:12, 13). And it needs to be fear and trembling, lest we fall short of the Grace He so feely offers. It starts with choice, I choose with His help to do His will. The emotions will follow. Emotions are intended to be the caboose of the train of our lives, not the engine that drives it. When with His help we obey, the emotions will follow!

Lord Jesus, it's so easy to be driven by emotions, but it causes trouble! And we can't change our emotions by an act of the will. Lord as a Spirit filled man, You showed us an example of how to do this. As they drove cruel spikes though Your hands and feet, You prayed “Father forgive them.” I'm not there yet Lord, but I want to be. Thank You for forgiveness, and the promise that You who have begun a good work in me will keep right on doing it until I see You face to face (Philippians 1:6), in Your precious and lovely Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment