Tuesday, June 1, 2021

God in a box

It’s not that lone ago that I was complaining to the Lord about being misunderstood. You can complain to Him you you know (Psalm 142:2)! And  it’s better to complain to Him rather than to others,  because when you complain to others,  especially about other Christians, it’s all too easily to be promoting disunity (2 Corinthians 12:10).  But I digress! God’s ‘tongue-in-cheek’  reply to me was “You think you’re misunderstood,  what about all those people who say they represent me but don’t have a clue who I am? What about all those who blame me for everything that goes wrong? What about most of  the over 40,000 registered Christian denominations whom claim to have figured Me out, but don’t have a clue,  nevertheless they tell everybody who is not them that they’ve got it all wrong?” In other words He was saying “You think you are misunderstood Phil, welcome to the club!”

Many Christians criticized twelve-step programs for talking about our higher power, that is “God as we understand him to be.” Well some of these “gods” are clearly not God, God is not a light bulb, or a cup of coffee, or your mother,  or the group! But if you think You have God all figured out, let me tell you clearly “You are wrong!” And yes if I think that, then indeed I am wrong too!  The point is that in oder to understand God, you would have to be God, and you  are not, and neither am I!

I am not saying it’s hopeless, I am saying we need to have humility and some understanding of how little we know.  There are challenges within the Bible too “You will search for me and find me when you search for Me with all of your Heart” (Jeremiah 29:13).   The Bible claims that God has revealed Himself in Jesus Christ (Hebrews 1:2). We are to understand that Jesus is the God - Man (John 1:1, 14; 1 Timothy 2:5), and that the whole of Scripture testifies to who He is (John 5:39).  It makes no sense to say that He was just a good teacher, He has not left us with that option. In the words of C.S. Lewis He is either a lunatic, or a liar,  or He is who He says He is, the Lord of all Creation.

Father, please forgive us for trying to put You into a box. I pray this morning that Lord that You will continue to draw us to yourself.  You tell us that the essence of eternal life, life for ever and ever,  and life in all it's fullness is to know You the One true God and Jesus Christ Your Son (John 17:3, 10:10b). You tell us Lord Jesus that  if we want to see God,  we simply need to look at You. You show us God and You show us mankind as You intend for us to be (John 14:9-11).  Lord I believe we will be fascinated for all eternity with You our fascinating, mysterious and wonderful God. At that time when time is no more we will be able to praise You as we aught and as You so richly deserve in Jesus Name Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment