Sunday, December 26, 2021

Negative self talk: Who told you, you were naked?

It's a good question. Likely Adam told himself, I mean nobody needs to tell us to feel shame! In asking this question (Genesis 3:11),  the Lord is inviting Adam to think about his thinking.  All creatures created on day six (1:24)  have some limited ability to think. But only we who are created in the image of God can think about our thinking (1:27). It's called metacognition, and it allows us, for example, to evaluate the way we learn, and to strategize. It also allows us to figure out what parts of our thinking are toxic. Adam's thinking was messed up, it was his disobedience, not his nakedness, that was the problem (2:25, 17; 3:6).  And I dare say that we all have toxic thoughts at some level. We have been looking at toxic shame where we tell ourselves “I am a mistake, I'm flawed,  I'm a looser” (I am naked Genesis 3:10).

Modern research has some interesting things to say about thinking.  Dr Carolyn Leaf tells that every though comes with an emotion attached, and that when we obsess on something,  it amplifies the emotion. Obsessing on an angry thought, for example, increases the  anger. In fact what we think about consistently affects our emotional and mental health. The bulk of the research seems to be on the negative side. In recovery circles we call negative self talk 'stinking thinking.' But certainly positive thinking, healthy emotions and positive health are interconnected.  Concerning the power of positive thinking however, there seems to be some exaggerated claims out there, including from the faith community.

Speaking of the faith community, the Bible provides us with empowering principles and promises.  Our battle (struggle) over negative self talk has spiritual roots (Ephesians 6:12). But the person of faith has tools, weapons as it were, to take authority over our thought life (Luke 10:19; 2 Corinthians 10:4, 5).  It's not just about shutting down our negative thoughts however.  We are, for example, to replace anxious thoughts with all kinds of prayer, and most importantly with thanksgiving. When we do this we are promised  the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. The same passage then admonishes to think about what is good and noble and profitable (Philippians 4:4-8).

I have found this to be a process, and when I find myself returning to old thought patterns,  I gently re-exert  the authority I am given over them. I do not beat myself up over my slips. One of the benefits of unconditional acceptance by God (Colossians 1:12) and others, is that I do not need to stress when I fail. A child learning to walk does not beat itself up when it falls, it simply tries again. We are called to be child-like in this way in all our growth.   

Some of the things that empower negative thinking, are the lies we believe about God, and about ourselves. It's particularly important to believe what God thinks about us. God does not show favouritism (Acts 10:34), and so He thinks about us the same way He thinks about His Son. We are His beloved children in whom He is well pleased (Mark 1:11).

Father I love the song by Godfrey Birtill, sung as You Yourself asking us  “Do you believe what I believe about you? You are beautiful, so precious too.” Like a loving Father with his child, You think we are amazing! We believe Lord, help our unbelief, in Jesus Name Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment