Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Fear not, for I am with you

The full text of this verse from Isaiah 41:10 is:

Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

One of the very last promises of Jesus to the disciples, and hence to us, was that He would be with us until the very end of the age. Various other passages assure us that He will contend with those who contend with us and that the He is with us to deliver us.

Over the years it has been a great comfort to me to know that He will never leave me nor forsake me. There have certainly been times that without Him I would have been very much afraid, and there have been times of great dismay. But what these things do, is to throw me back on Him. At The time of my breakdown in 1995 He told me that I needed to be strong, the very thing I was not. Such an instruction is not to be strong in and of ourselves, but to be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might! At such times it was comforting to know that He is the one who would strengthen me, He is the one who would help me, He is the one who would lift me up, support me, and set my feet on the rock who is Jesus Christ.

The world tends to despise weakness, but sooner or later we all come to the end of our own strength. In fact it is a weakness not to ask for help when we need it. And sooner or later, even if we don’t admit it, we will all come to that place of need. So often it’s pride that keeps us from seeking help, and it is pride that keeps us isolated and alone.

Father, I thank you for your many, many promises to be with me, to help me, strengthen me and to deliver me. Like Paul, I can say that when I am weak, then I am strong. Because when I admit that I can’t do it without You, then You come alongside and strengthen me. Thank You that You have done this more times than I can count. Thank You for the comfort of your presence and Your love in Jesus name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment