Thursday, July 20, 2017

When a man’s ways please the Lord, 
He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him

They have not been that many people over the years, that I would consider enemies, and in any case the enmity was more from their side than from mine. I’m not saying I didn’t wrestle with their behaviour and/or attitude, but their unwillingness to live at peace with me was always greater than my unwillingness to live at peace with them. There are two cases that came to mind this morning, as I meditated on this verse. The above promise from Proverbs 16:7 was fulfilled in these two individuals, and I am waiting for the fulfillment of this promise in a third.

The Lord’s teaching on forgiveness is both profound, and difficult. It’s easy for those of us who don't have a lot to forgive to be rather glib about telling others that they need to forgive. Forgiveness, though necessary, can be very hard. And it’s easy for me to say that their unwillingness to live at peace with me was greater than my unwillingness to live at peace with them. In both cases, they were the ones offended! Of course there are always two sides to a story, but from my point of view what I said that offend them, needed to be said. And it was all the more difficult for them because it needed to be said in public!

In terms of making amends, I could regret the pain that I had caused them, and perhaps even the way that I did it, but I could not withdraw what I had said. In particular, I believe that what I had said had in each case prevented an injustice. Of course they didn’t see it that way, and when you consider the difficulty of admitting it when we are wrong, together with our natural pride and stubbornness, then you can see why I felt reconciliation was impossible. But it happened, and it's clear to me that it was the LORD, who made these enemies to be at peace with me!

Concerning the third case mentioned above, the Scripture says that the Lord is not slack concerning his promises, but it can certainly seem that way. A little old lady friend of mine who has now gone to be with the Lord told me one time “The Trouble with God, is that he has no sense of time!” The point is that it can seem to take forever for the Lord to come through for us. From my point of view, the promised reconciliation with this third person is long overdue! However, the second of the two reconciliations mentioned above is recent, and is a huge encouragement for me to continue to believe for the third.

Father, thank You that you know that waiting is difficult for us. Thank You for the little encouragements along the way that enable us to continue to trust and believe for the fulfillment of Your promises. Please show me any way in which my way is displeasing to You. I want to be sure that the premise of this promise, namely that my ways please You, is fulfilled. Thank You for the little encouragements that you give along the way. I trust in Your faithfulness in Jesus name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment