Thursday, July 13, 2017

I belong to the lover of my soul, and He is passionate about me

This paraphrase of Song of Solomon 7:10 speaks not only of the early stirrings of the passionate love between a man and a woman, but also of our intended relationship with God. That this is a valid application of the Song of Solomon is confirmed in the New Testament in Ephesians 5, where Paul speaks of the mystery of marriage being a parable of the relationship between Christ and the church.

I used the phrase “early stirrings” above, since likely most of us can remember a time of first love that was exciting. We knew, or perhaps we thought we knew, that we had found true love, and that this was the answer to life! At such times, all the barriers are down as we gaze intently into each other’s eyes, and we talk and talk, and even the touch of hand to hand sends a shiver of electricity down our spine.

For most if not all of us, this does not last, and boundaries quickly snap back into place as we discover our loved one is less than perfect. In our relationship with God however, there can be no such realization, because our God is perfect. When we are out of sorts with Him, we know deep down that it’s not Him it’s us. In fact any barrier that exists between God and ourselves has to do with us, not with Him. After all He has gone the second mile and beyond in reconciling us to Himself! Perhaps the barrier, if it exists, is some unconfessed sin, or some unrealistic expectation that we had of Him. Perhaps we were offended by something that He allowed!

One of my favourite songs when I was a young and new Christian was “Trust and obey.” The line “Trust on obey, for there’s no other way to be happy in Jesus,” comes to mind. In the new and fresh love that I had found in His embrace, the love that comforted me in the deep pain that was largely self-inflicted, I had found peace and hope and joy. I knew I belonged to Him, and I knew that He was and is passionate about me. Nothing has changed from His side, but there have certainly been times when things changed from mine.

Father, thank You that You have promised never to leave me nor forsake me. Thank You that You tell me in Your Word that nothing can separate me from Your love. Help me in those times when I feel disconnected from You, and bring me back into your embrace in Jesus name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment