Thursday, July 6, 2017

If you want to be first, you must be last and servant of all

The disciples had been arguing on the way who was the greatest, and when Jesus asked them what they were talking about, they were too ashamed to say anything. Knowing what it was, Jesus told them “If you want to be first, then you have to be last and servant of all.”

The upside down kingdom: The world will tell you you have to look after number one, if you want to get ahead, you need to trample on those under you. And it’s seductive, even if we don't act it out, we are likely thinking it! How often have I said or done something to impress? But it's not the way of the kingdom, and we have our reward or not! What I mean is the other person is likely trying to do the same thing, so the whole thing gets lost in the ether. It's noting but vanity! It doesn’t lead to peace, hope and joy, it has no eternal value, and in the end it leaves you empty and unsatisfied.

What struck me this morning as I read this passage from Mark 9, is the gentle and humble way that Jesus responded to his disciples. There is no self exaltation in his answer, there is no condemnation. There is correction, but there is no condemnation. What a contrast! The more I see and understand about Jesus, the more I want to be like Him. They say that we become like what we worship, so I choose to worship Jesus.

Father, thank You that as I come to You morning by morning, You sometimes (but thankfully not always) gently, lovingly but firmly put your finger on things in my life that displease You. Thank You that Your gentle and loving ways make me want to change and to be like You. Thank you for the truth, that as I worship you I become more like you. This is my greatest desire. In Jesus name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment