Monday, October 9, 2017

Give thanks with a grateful heart

So which comes first, the chicken or the egg, a grateful heart, or the giving of thanks? A couple of years ago at the time of the American Thanksgiving, I was listening to a teaching on how the consistent act of giving thanks changes the brain chemistry in a positive way. Following that I started what I call my thankful file on my computer. This file contained things for which I should be thankful, and I added to it, as things came to mind.

I am a leader in the recovery program Celebrate Recovery. It’s a Christ centred twelve-step program, and most people introduce themselves by saying “Hello my name is X, I’m a grateful believer in Jesus Christ, and I struggle with .....” Part of the reason we do it this way, is that while we want (and need) to admit that we have a problem, we don’t want that problem to be our identity. Up until that time I had resisted this standard introduction. There were two reasons, the first was pride, I just wanted to be different! The other was that I did not feel particularly grateful.

But this changed, and the reason that it changed, was that my feelings changed. I now feel thankful! And the reason my feelings changed, was that I had made it my habit first thing in the morning, to open my thankful file and as an act of the will give thanks for some of the things I had written down. In other words I became thankful, as I consistently gave thanks.

Father, it continues to amaze me (though I don't know why it should), that obedience to your precepts and commands, brings life. How precious is that? Truly your promises are yes and amen. And I thank You this morning Lord for all that You are, for all that You do, for Your Word, for the joy of fellowship and intimacy with You, and that my name is written in the Lamb’s book of life. I praise and bless and honour Your holy, precious and glorious Name. In Jesus Name I pray Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment