Saturday, October 14, 2017

“I’m a loser!” – That’s a lie!

Recalling a young man sitting on my couch some time ago, and that’s what he said “ I’m a loser?” He had been coming to me for some years by that time, and when he first came, he was filled with self-hate. With the Lord’s help we had started to deal with that, and now he merely despised himself!

"That’s a lie I told him. " "No it’s the truth" he replied. "I can prove it, every time I try something I fail." I knew where he was coming from, he had been unable to hold a job down for many years, and he was terrified of trying again. As we started to talk about it, I shared that his ungodly belief that he was a loser, was in fact a self-fulfilling prophecy. When you believe that you are a loser, there’s not a lot of point in trying. So why bother? What I’m saying is a belief like this negatively effects behaviour.

We had been talking about ungodly beliefs, and how the evil one uses them to kill and to steal and to destroy in our lives. My friend suddenly had a revelation “That’s evil isn’t it?” It certainly is, and these evil thoughts, these evil beliefs, are whispered into our ears at vulnerable times. Such evil beliefs, can likely only be exposed within a safe fellowship. And we will not grow the way He wants us to grow outside of such a fellowship.

My friend had given me permission to use certain aspects of his life to help others, and this incident came to mind recently as I encountered other ungodly beliefs.

These ungodly beliefs do not go away easily, we need to counter them with the truth of the Word of God. When somebody believes that they are a loser, it’s likely because they are confusing the experience with truth. The truth is that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13). The truth is that God always leads us in triumphant procession in Christ (2 Corinthians 2:14). The truth is when I am weak, then I am strong, because when I am weak I cry out to the one who is my strength, and I can take on His strength which, when I do this, He is more than ready and willing able to give (2 Corinthians 12:10).

I was taught that when I encounter an ungodly belief in my life, I need to find Scriptures to counter it. Then I need to remind myself of these truths every morning for at least a month. It seems to me that this is part of what the Lord meant when he said “if you continue in my Word, then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free" (John 8:31).

Father, it’s clear that at some level all of us have believed lies. Please expose any lies I am still believing, especially those that are preventing me from going to the next level. There is always more, please give me the godly dissatisfaction I need at times, to motivate me the areas where I need it. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment