Sunday, October 1, 2017

We are seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus

One of the criticisms that is levelled against those of us who are deeply spiritual, is that we are so heavenly minded we are no earthly good. But from my point of view, unless our theology is deeply practical we have missed the point. In this principle extracted from Colossians 3:1, Paul tells us that we are seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus, but what does this mean, and how is it practical?

I just passed a church sign this morning that said “Why pray when you can worry?” It’s humorous of course, but how many of us do actually worry rather than pray? The point of what I am trying to say, is that if we take what Paul is saying seriously, then in fact we are seated next to the One who has the solution to every problem. But not only this we are seated next to One who loves us, is ready willing and able to help us, to give us wisdom, grace and strength for our difficulties, and to go through them with us.

This works for the little things, as well as the big. A problem that has been requiring my attention since the last huge rainstorm that we had here in Newfoundland, is that I have a leak around a roof drain that I had no idea how to fix. This roof has caused me problems before. It cost me over $8,000 to fix just one third of it. And I have been tempted to worry.

I have been telling the Lord for some time, my money is His money, and if this is true then I have absolutely no reason to worry. It’s His problem! Over the past couple of years the Lord has been testing this in my life, and there have been times when the reality was more that I was regarding it as my money rather than His. However in this new testing, I have been deliberately conscious of my being seated in heavenly places, and as I chose to leave it with Him, and to refuse to worry about it, the solution is starting to open up. And this without it costing me (Him) an arm and a leg!

Father, thank You that the things You teach us in Your Word and that spiritual realities are indeed real, and intensely practical. Thank You that You have been teaching me this, and continue to teach me this. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment