Friday, October 6, 2017

If it’s not going to matter 50 years from now……

One of my favourite Scripture twistings, is to take the command from Psalm 37 to fret not, as the admonition not to play guitar in church! But seriously, this command comes three times within the first eight verses, and the last time it tells us why. The reason is that it only causes harm.

In a conversation this morning a mutual friend of ours was described as unflappable. It’s a good virtue to have. I’m here in Nova Scotia to attend some meetings, and we set off yesterday with two hours to spare for what should have lasted an hour and half. We were stuck in traffic moving perhaps 20 or 30 meters ahead every minute or so, for an hour. So of course we were late.

It’s easy to get very frustrated in situations like this. You try an alternative route and it turns out to be just as bad, so you second-guess yourself. I still wondering this morning if we should just have waited. On the other hand we could see at least a mile ahead that nothing was moving.

I wish I could say that I always put this into practice perfectly, but I am getting there. What I try to put into practice is to tell myself that if it’s not going to matter 50 years from now, I’m not going to let it matter right now. I did get there eventually, and I’m happy to say that it did not spoil my evening!

Father, thank You for the grace that You give us to move into the maturity You call us into. Please bring me to the place where I too have the reputation of being unflappable. And I’m sure to give You the honour the glory and the praise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment