Friday, June 1, 2018

Lay aside the weight and the sin (Part 2) ….

A friend of mine tells of when he first went to AA seeing a man get a 30 day chip indicating that he had been sober for 30 days. It seemed impossible to my friend, because he had tried and tried to quit, but had not been able to do so. But seeing the man get this chip he thought “If he can do it, so can I.” We were talking last day about the many witnesses we see, that are intended to motivate us to persevere in our struggles. This morning I want to look a little closer at the phrase “Lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily trips us up” (Hebrews 12:1).

Laying aside sin involves dying to self, saying no to the desires of the sinful nature and coming progressively to the place where “sin no longer rules in our lives” (Romans 6:14). We need to be among those who have overcome the evil one (1 John 2:14). For me like the Prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32), I had to come to moment of clarity. In fact I had to come to a number of theses moments, times when I would cry out the the Lord to show me His way of escape in the particular temptation (1 Corinthians 10:13). And then afterwards, being diligent taking one day at a time, knowing that if I think I am standing firm I need to take care lest I fall (1 Corinthians 10:12).

But what is the weight being talked about here? It is any hindrance, any obstruction to living the Christina life. It is anything that trips us up. It is the overpowering burden, be it a burden of responsibility or liability, it is the debilitating pain of loss. It is the crushing weight of worry over a loved one etc., etc. It is not that we should not care, but too often we worry and fret and allow ourselves to be swamped by burdens we are not intended to carry. For me, for the longest time I was dragged down by the problems and difficulties of those to whom I was seeking to minister. In doing so, I because useless both to them and to myself. Learning to “lay aside every weight” what ever it is, and laying it at the feet of Jesus is a process, but unless we learn to do this, we will not be effective in the work He is calling to us to.

Father, learning the stories of those in prison, stories of murdered relatives, stories of abuse, be it physical or sexual or verbal, these are stories that weigh heavy on my heart this morning. Thank You Lord that I am learning the part You want me to play in bearing their burdens, but not being swamped by them. I cannot do this without You! Without You, my heart will either grow cold, or I will find myself in the same pit they find themselves in. Thank You Lord that You are ready and willing and able to help in these things. With You all things are possible and I give You all the honour and glory and praise in Jesus Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment