Wednesday, October 24, 2018

In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul

The anxieties of which the Psalmist is speaking in this quote from Psalm 94:19, concern the state of his world. They concern the triumph of the wicked (verse 3), their boastful brutality (verses 4, 6), their oppression to the people of God (verse 5) etc., etc. The Psalmist knows however, that there is coming a time when he will be able to rest from all of this (verse 13), and that one day righteousness will rule (verse 15). In the meantime, the Psalmist knows the Lord will hold him up lest his foot slip, and that it would indeed have slipped unless it had been for Him (verses 17, 18).

The psalmist could be writing about today! There are indeed a multitude of things that can cause anxiety in this upside down world where evil is called good, and good evil. Where darkness is called light, and light is called darkness (Isaiah 5:20). However, like the psalmist, we can take comfort in knowing that the Lord will reverse all of this, and that righteousness will reign. In the meantime, we need to remind ourselves that the Lord is not slack concerning His promise … but is longsuffering .... not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). And it is His goodness and forbearance that will lead those who repent, to repentance (Romans 2:4).

The Lord was reminding me this morning, that I have not believed cunningly devised fables (2 Peter 1:16). Part of what He was reminding me is the consistency and unity of the salvation message that permeates each and every one of the sixty six books of His Word. This unity, shines through the diversity of times and seasons, and culture and literary genre and the multitude of authors. This unity in diversity is part of the substance of what we have believed, the evidence of things unseen (Hebrews 11:1). They are also part of the comforts (plural), that brought me comfort again this morning, they allowed my soul to overcome my anxious thoughts, and to come back to peace.

Father, I want to thank You for Your comforts this morning, but You did not leave it there! As I left to come to the office, the sun was rising and I sensed You “waving” to me through a glorious sunrise. The word “delight” came to me, together with the promise that if I delight myself in You, You will give me the desires of my heart (Psalm 37:4). And You in turn delight to do this Lord, because when I delight myself in You, my desires are right. The words from the song also came to mind “Though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet!” And I praise and bless and thank You again this morning Lord, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment