Thursday, October 25, 2018

Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with his mother

The picture given in this verse from Psalm 131:2, is of a child who with the mother’s help, has got past the “I want what I want and I want it now" demanding stage, to the place where he is at peace because he has learned to trust that his needs will be met. It is a picture of contentment, security and intimacy. The main thing that comes to mind this morning as I meditated upon this verse, is the part that the Psalmist has played in the quietening and calming of his soul.

What we see many times in the Psalms, is that the Psalmist counsels and instructs himself. So for example “Why are you cast down, O my soul? .... Hope in God” (Psalm 42:11), or “Soul wait silently for God” (Psalm 62:5). Here the Psalmist not only counsels himself, but brings himself into calm, comfort and quietness. It is something that we need to learn, but as a weaned child with his mother, we do have help. In particular, the mother needs to do, is to not immediately give in to the kicking and screaming and fussing of the child. When she does this well, the child will eventually make a choice to trust that she not only knows all his needs (as opposed to wants), but will in time fulfill them. Likewise we need to stop fussing, and trust that He will fulfill His promised to supply all our needs according to His riches in glory (Philippians 4:19).

And when I am fussing, or in danger of fussing, I need to take time out, and to find a quiet place. If that is not possible I need to learn to tune out everything but Him. Then for me there are two ways. One that I have done for a long time is to work a passage I learned by heart such as Philippians 4:3-7, to work it and then claim the promise at the end, namely that the peace of God that passes all understanding will guide my heart and mind. More recently I have been putting myself, in my mind’s eye (my imagination), into certain passages of scripture. So I see the Shepherd gently placing His hand on me, causing me to lie down in the green pasture. I also “see” myself being lead by still waters (Psalm 23:2), and I am calmed!

Father, I want to thank You this morning for Your Word which is living and powerful, and through which You do indeed enable me to calm and quiet my soul. In the end it is Your peace and Your quiet that You have made available to us. I am not saying I have arrived Lord, but I want to pray for anyone reading this, this morning, who is having difficulty with quieting their soul. Thank You Lord that we can not only have peace with God, but we can have the peace of God (Romans 5:1; Philippians 4:7) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment