Wednesday, October 3, 2018

The first two of four keys to hearing God’s voice

To me, the first two of Mark Virkler’s keys to hearing God’s voice, quiet myself down and turn my eyes on Jesus, have become essentially seamless. I see the Biblical warrant for these two keys being contained in the command “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). And these thoughts came to mind this morning, as I sat outside on the bench in front of my house, drinking coffee, wearing my winter jacket! The light was awesome, with the sun shining almost horizontal, and the leaves just starting to turn. There was not a breath of wind, and in the stillness it was easy to quiet myself down, and I was sensing His presence (“eyes” turned to Jesus) I was indeed still, and I was knowing that He is God. And in the beauty of it all, my heart simply turned to worship.

Like all habits, when repeated over and over they become second nature. But it wasn’t always so. The first thing I had to learn to do to quieten myself down, was to write down the things my mind would remind me needed to be done. That way I would not fret that I would forget them. The next thing would be to deal with the accusations of the thief (John 10:10a). I cannot be quiet and at peace with unconfessed sin. I don’t have to be perfect, I don’t even have to have full victory over my besetting sins, I simply need to confess, to surrender and to ask for His help. It is helpful to remind myself that there is no condemnation in Christ (Romans 8:1), and because of what Jesus did on the cross, I am welcome in His presence (Matthew 11:28).

Dealing with racing thoughts is handled by switching from left to right brain activity, and in so doing turning my eyes on Jesus. I find this through worship, and soaking. What I mean by soaking, is that I put on some of my favourite worship music, spread my hands wide inviting Him to come, then laying down and letting Him love me! I am also in the process of learning to visualize the presence of the Lord. So I can meditate on such verses as “He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul” (Psalm 23:2,3a). I can visualize this on the screen of my mind. I can picture the stream I used to visit all the time, I can “see” green pastures along side the waters, and my restless thoughts settle down. I do need to give him time, lovers do not rush in and out of one another’s presence!

Father, I am totally convinced that if You can do this for me, You can do it for anyone. It does take effort, it does take determination and practice, but Lord it is totally worth it. In our conversation this morning on my way here, I sensed You asking me what I would choose, if I had to choose between You and the fulfillment of Your promise to me. It is no contest Lord, I choose You every time. There is no one like you Lord, You have stolen my heart and I love You in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment