Friday, September 27, 2019

The Hope to which He has called us (III) The refining fire of delayed answers

Joseph had had  prophetic dreams which his family understood,  only too well,  meant  he would rule over them. It would take many years and a great deal of suffering before it happened (Genesis 37ff; Psalm 105:18,19). Knowing us well, the Scripture tell us “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life (Proverbs 13:12). Last day we heard of those who got so sick that they died because of deferred hope. It doesn't have to be so dramatic, but the period between the promise and its fulfillment can rightly be described ofttimes, as a fire. But when we have a promise, we need to stand firm,  believe it, and press into it. We can stand on such promises as “He who sows in tears … shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him” (Psalm 126:5,6).

In the circles in which I move, there are many whose children are not following the Lord. And over and over in faith, we make the declaration “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” (Joshua 24:15). And we supplement this declaration with other scriptures. For example we read that the believing spouse is sanctified by the believer “otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy” (1 Corinthians 7:14). Similarly “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household” (Acts 16:31). But it can take a very long time, and the hope deferred can indeed make the heart sick, if we allow discouragement to set in. In these times, it’s easy to blow it. Abraham did exactly that when the promised son was delayed. In particular, he tried to make it happen by going into Sarai’s maidservant Hagar. The results were disastrous (Genesis 6:1-6).

The Lord will work things out even when we've blown it, but it’s better if we learn from other people’s mistakes and wait patiently for Him (Psalm 40:1). Waiting patiently does not necessarily mean we do nothing, but we need to do only what He directs us to do. Otherwise our impatience may actually delay the answer. I am wondering if that happened with Abraham. The Lord may have needed to allow Ishmael to grow to a certain age before sending him away (Galatians 4:30). A mistake that I made in contending for my promise, is the same the prisoners made in the story in last day’s blog. I set time limits for Him to come through for me.  It was very painful. He had told me to wait patiently, and well I waited, but was it patiently? Well no, and the disappointment that set in,  sent me back to some of my pre-Christian unhealed addictions. And He could not fulfill the promise until I got the victory again.

Father, there is a point in Joseph’s waiting, that always strikes me, namely that it was a further two full years of waiting, even after all his suffering, even after You had shown him the route of deliverance (Genesis 41:1). But Lord You were continuing to do a mighty work in Joseph, so that in the end he could not only forgive his brothers their betrayal, but declare “You meant it for evil, but God meant it for good” (Genesis 50:20). And I thank You this morning Lord that You have brought me to the place where I can thank You for the work that You have done and are doing in me in the delay of my promise in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment