Saturday, September 28, 2019

The Hope to which He has called us (IV) If in this life only we have hope …

Paul, with the perspective of heaven could say “I do not regard the sufferings of this world to be worthy to be compared to the glory that is to be revealed in us” (Romans 8:18). And very likely Paul suffered more than any of us (i.e. 2 Corinthians 11:23-28), but his hope was very much anchored in the hereafter. In fact he could famously say “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most to be pitied” (1 Corinthians 11:19). I have heard some say, that if Christianity wasn’t true, they would still live the Christian life. But I don’t think I want to live my life on a lie, that would be delusion. But more than this, Paul goes on to say ”If, in the manner of men, I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantage is it to me? If the dead do not rise, ‘Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die’” (verse 32)! 

 
Sure I love the experience of His love poured out in my heart (Romans 5:5), and would miss that. But among things I would not miss, are the trials and difficulties that come with life and with standing against the increasingly militant culture that misunderstands my wanting to love as hate. Who needs that? I am not saying my suffering is anywhere near Paul's. I mean his fighting with beast at Ephesus was clearly about being thrown into the arena. He didn’t need that, and neither do I! We were talking recently about what it costs to convert to Christianity in some countries. Even today you can be legally killed according to their law! If it wasn’t all true why would anyone want that! What advantage indeed?

There has to be something more than the subjective experience of His presence, as precious as it is. We need hope of something better, and this hope needs to be sure and steadfast. The writer to the Hebrews tells us that this hope for which we pray is exactly that, it's an anchor for the soul, and it passes behind the veil (Hebrews 6:19) into the very presence of God. As I sit here I am seeing it as no coincidence that I am blogging this subject this morning. I ask God day by day for things to write that are relevant to my life. And this morning I am needing the assurance that I have not believed cunningly devised fables (2 Peter 1:6),  that this light affliction is but for a moment (2 Corinthians 4:17), and though sorrow may last for the night, joy will come in the morning (Psalm 30:5).
Father, it's so easy to take my eyes off what You are doing, and obsess and grieve for the things that so easily discourage me. And I want to thank You Lord for the sure hope that there is indeed coming a day when there will be no more tears or suffering (Revelation 21:4). I needed this anchor this morning Father.  Lord, I cannot pass this hope on to the world through logic alone. But Lord please let my testimony do it, the testimony that I have found a secure place to stand in You, based on Your Word, Your truth and the experience of Your loved poured out in my heart. In the meantime Lord, give me the courage and the tenacity to be steadfast immovable always abounding in You. In this way may my living hope be contagious in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment