Sunday, January 5, 2020

Blessed are .... (I) The upside down Kingdom

The reference is to the beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-12), and someone has said the beatitudes are the attitudes we are to be, or rather display as Christians. And they are so contrary to the attitudes of the world which is all about me. Another way to put it, is that what we are called to be as Christians is upside down to the way the world thinks. The first shall be last and the last first, he who would gain his life must loose it (Matthew 20:6; 16:25). The amplified Bible expands “blessed” to include “happy, fortunate and to be envied,” but think about it “happy are those who are persecuted ...” (verse 10)! The kingdoms of this world do not think about happiness in these terms! Verses 10 and 11 qualify what kind of persecution brings blessing. I mean I can be persecuted because I am obnoxious! Verse 10 adds “for righteousness’ sake,” and verse 11 “for my sake” (because you are living for me). Verse 12 then tells us why we are blessed “for great is your reward in heaven.”

But we can also think of this in terms of maturity of character. In particular to ability we can choose to have to put off instant gratification, or to endure hardships today for greater rewards in the future. I recently learned of a marshmallow experiment on three to five year old children. They were each shown one marshmallow and told they could have that now, but if they waited ten minutes they could have two! Some were simply unable to resist, others would try to distract themselves singing or other activities to make the time pass more quickly.

We want what we want, and when do we want it? Now! The Christian however, is called to maturity, and the beatitudes, if we meditate on them will show us where we are falling down and where with His help we can put them into practice. It's all about being more like Jesus. Again being willing to examine myself asking God if there be any wicked way in me, is not the worlds way, but I have learned that in the end any of the ways I am not like Jesus produces bad fruit (Galatians 6:7), and so I welcome His searching my heart, and being lead in the paths of life (Psalm 139:23).

Lord Jesus, I come to You this morning, asking you to change my heart, my attitudes and my desires. Lord when I am in danger of allowing my passions and desires to lead me down the wrong path, interrupt me and lead me back to You, my Shepherd and friend and saviour and Lord. In Your precious Name I pray Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment