Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Since I spoke to Pharaoh in Your name, he has done evil to this people

The Lord had sent Moses to Pharaoh to tell him “Let my people go,” and Pharaoh calling the people lazy,  had laid more work on the Israelites.  Their response was to complain to Moses,  that he had “made us abhorrent in the sight of Pharaoh,” and that he had done evil to them (Exodus 5:1, 8, 9, 23). So Moses and Aaron were getting pushback from both sides. It is the nature of leadership. I remember a friend of mine saying tongue in cheek that when God wants to punish a man he makes him a pastor!

So Moses in turn complains to the Lord asking the age old question that we tend to ask in times of difficulty “Why?” The Lord knew this was going to happen of course, and he answers him “I am the LORD; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments. I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the LORD your God who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians” (6:6,7). What the Lord was saying, is that through the pain and difficulty of it all, not in spite of it all, but through it all,  the children of Israel would know two things, firstly who they were and whose they were, and secondly they would actually know  that God is God.  In other words the trials would send doubt running!

I am reminded of the song “Through it all” by Andrae Crouch. "I've had many tears and sorrows, I've had questions for tomorrow .... But in every situation, God gave me blessed consultation, that my trials come to only make me strong."  And “For if I'd never had a problem, I wouldn't know God could solve them, I'd never know what faith in God could do.” The Lord told us clearly “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33). The only relevant question is how we respond.

Father as I come to You this morning the verse “But He gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: 'God opposes the proud but shows favour to the humble'" (James 4:6).  We need Your help  Lord to be careful not to fall short of this Grace (Hebrews 12:15).  So we come to You boldly before the throne of Grace again this morning, that we might find mercy and Grace to help in our times of need (Hebrews 4:16) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment