Saturday, January 25, 2020

Jesus took Peter, James, and John ...

Peter, James, and John were the inner three of Jesus' inner circle of twelve. The tile phrase is from this morning's readings in Matthew 17:1. This is where Jesus is transformed on the mountain before their eyes. There is much to say about that of course, but this morning my thoughts went to the relationships of the man Christ Jesus. I had whispered to the Lord that if I had been one of the twelve, I would also like to have been one of the inner three.  And  He whispered back “You are my son!” I don't know how each and every one of us can be His favourite (yes you too), but I know it's true, for He is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34). It is also one of the reasons it is better for us that He went to the Father (John 16:7). 

I have often tried to treat everyone alike, but it struck me this morning, that the man Jesus (as opposed to Jesus operating as God) didn't do that. I am not saying that He did not deal with everybody in love, but when He took the three onto the mountain, there were nine of His inner circle who were excluded. I have 4,361 close friends on facebook - not really, I am exaggerating.  And in any case, you cannot have 4,361 close friends. Jesus had twelve, and among the twelve there were three who were especially close. It is very easy to get caught up in numbers. I am not saying that mega churches are wrong, but in such places, it is too easy to get lost in the crowd. We can be lonely in the midst of it all.

It is interesting to me that research has shown that we can be reasonably close to about twelve people, but really close to just a few. Jesus somehow knew this of course and that is likely why He chose just twelve. But note,  the choosing was a matter of prayer (Luke 6:12, 13). These things need to inform how we do church,  and how we mentor. In particular we all need to be part of a small group (read about 12) of people who meet regularly, and also of an even smaller group of our most intimate circle. And part of this is to realize we can't be close friends with everybody. We are human and we need to acknowledge our human limitations. I don't pretend, for example, to be able to fly!

Father, it seems to me that Paul was taking up Jesus' example when he told Timothy “The things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will also be qualified to teach others.” Father I ask this morning that You give each one of us a Paul to his Timothy. And help us to be faithful too Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment