Saturday, January 18, 2020

Let us not be eager for empty glory, provoking and envying one another

I noticed that I find it relatively easy to be humble with those who are humble. It can be a different story with those who like to tell me how wonderful they are, and how much they have accomplished, be it for the Lord or otherwise. And I find, if I am not very careful, that I can allow something to rise up within me wanting to say – “Oh yeh, well let me tell you about me ...” To do this would be to seek for empty glory, seeking to bolster other's opinion of me. It's a bit like when we give to charity in order to be seen, we already have our reward, the praise of men (Matthew 6:1, 2). It can also come when we are feeling put down. I am not saying there is never a place to defend ourselves, but we do need to remember that when Jesus was reviled, He reviled not again (1 Peter 2:23).

In the same context as this morning's reference (his closing remarks to the Galatians) Paul says “God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world” (5:26; 6:14). Tim Keller in an exposition of this passage comments that the essence of the gospel is Jesus giving His life for us, in order that we might give our lives for others. And part of what Paul is saying here, is that in the light of the cross what those who seek empty glory think and feel should firstly, be dead to us. That is, I mean that we should take no account of it, knowing what God thinks and feels about us is far more important and far more affirming of who we are in Him. Secondly our response to the vain glory of the world should be that we are dead to it, in particular I should neither retaliate, nor boast in me, but rather in the cross of Jesus Christ (“It is what He did for me and for you”).

Coming back to the title verse, when we boast in nothing other than the cross, not only is it seeking empty and vain glory, it is provocative and so often leads to envy and jealousy and even putdowns as we seek to exalt self by belittling others. It is natural fallen human nature and it is what needs to be put to crucified and put to death (Galatians 5:24; Romans 8:13). Since no one likely goes to ones' death without kicking and screaming, it is likely something of a battle!

Father, it is so easy to get caught up in the spirit of the World, and it is a spirit. Your Word tells us Lord that those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires (5:24). Help us therefore to reckon ourselves dead to sin, but alive to God (Romans 6:11), and to present ourselves as living sacrifices (Romans 12:1). We need Your help Lord to be steadfast immovable aways abounding in the work of the Lord, and I am asking for it again this morning Father in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment