Thursday, February 20, 2020

For there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed

We are into the parables in  Mark 4 in our daily reading. The conventional wisdom that parables are only earthly stories with heavenly meanings is inadequate. In particular they are for those inside the Kingdom to understand, but also so those outside will not hear (v. 11, 12). The “For” in the title quote (v. 22) was puzzling to me, since in the previous verse Jesus was saying you don't put a lamp under a bed. And the “For” acts as “because,” i.e. you don't put a lamp under a bed, because all will be revealed. Jesus is not saying here, as He does elsewhere, that we are to let our light shine before men (Matthew 5:16). And it is in this same context, that He says (twice) “If anyone has ears, let him hear” (vv. 9, 23). You know, the Lord gave us two ears and one mouth, but we don't listen very well! Two verses come to mind, firstly that in Christ “are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge,” secondly  “It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and the glory of kings to search it out” Colossians 2:3; Proverbs 5:22).

We are responsible for what we hear, so it is His mercy that conceals things from those outside. But God wants to fascinate those of us on the inside. Little children love hid-go seek. It has to do with the joy of discovery. But too often we become “dull of hearing” (Hebrews 5:11), but our fascinating God wants us to pursue Him. We are kings and priests (Revelation 5:10), and it is glory to pursue Him and His Word. After all He is the Word (John 1:1). So let me ask us (yes you and me) a question this morning. Am I stuck, have we settled, in and are content with where we are in Christ, or are we eager for the more of God? In verse 24 He tells us “Take heed what you hear. With the same measure you use, it will be measured to you; and to you who hear, more will be given.”

As I meditate on these things this morning, I am feeling that the Lord is stirring my spirit and inviting me to pursue Him afresh again. I don't want to be a casual Christian, I don't want to loose my child likeness in the joy of discovery in my wonderful fascinating God. I need His help of course, but He also wants me to pursue Him. Nobody wants a limp lover, neither me nor you, nor the Lord. So what is He saying here? Tyndale commentary gave me a clue. God has not hidden His light under the bed, but is revealing it to those who keep on seeking, and keep on knocking (Matthew 7:7). And indeed, there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed, but it is for joy and glory that we can keep on seeking it out. But only if we have ears to hear!

Father, thank You that when I seek,  more will be given. I confess to laziness at times this morning Lord. Please continue to draw me to not be satisfied with anything less that all the fullness of God. It dwelt in You Lord Jesus as a Spirit filled man, and because it was in You as a man, it is available to us. Give us ears to hear Lord, in Your precious Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment