Sunday, February 23, 2020

Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins

Peter tells us that those of us who lack love, among other things, have forgotten that we were cleansed from our sins, and we are blind and far off (2 Peter 1:9). So then it is not just hatred that is blind, but lack of love! I am grateful this morning that there is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ (Romans 8:1). I mean who can say they have enough Christ like love (Ephesians 5:23)?  And what the Lord is doing in my heart this morning is calling me up to the high calling in Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:14). Hatred bitterness and resentment warp our spiritual seeing, and defile many (Hebrews 12:15). This morning's verse from Proverbs 10:12, speaks about hatred stirring up, awakening, or reawakening strife.

Hatred is blind, refusing to see the good in the other person, and we are all a mixture of good and evil. Hatred goes further than this, hatred sees things that are not there, casts suspicion on motives, and jumps to unwarranted conclusions. Hatred interprets even the good in a bad light, saying for example they are only doing that to manipulate me into forgiving them, or for some other reason. And all this is infections, it draws others into the suspicion and the name calling and the false accusations. And we need to know that the Lord hates the one who sows such discord among the brethren (Proverbs 6:16, 18).

But there is a sense in which love is willingly blind. In 1 Corinthians 13:7 Paul tells us that love believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. In other words love believes the best of a person until the evidence dictates otherwise. At that point love hopes the evidence wrong, and when even that is no longer possible, love endures. But please do not confuse this with allowing someone to abuse you. Allowing someone to abuse you is not good for either of you. We need healthy boundaries for both our sakes. Nevertheless we are to love one other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8).

Father, I am grateful this morning that love is a verb, because I don't always feel lovey dovey. It is good when I do, but love is an action. Your Word admonishes us to not love in word only, but in deed and in truth. And part of loving in truth, is to speak the truth in love at appropriate times. I need Your Grace and Your wisdom to do this Lord. And it is one more reminder for me that without You I can do nothing (John 15:5). Give me the wherewithal Lord to love in practical ways that cause no harm. Give me grace to not take offense, and to be willing to overlook offenses in Jesus Name I pray, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment