Thursday, February 20, 2020

Peace, be still

The storm had threatened to sink the boat,  and Jesus was asleep on a a pillow. They had woken Him, He rebuked the wind, and gave this command, and “the wind ceased and there was a great calm” (Mark 4:39) . The thought that keeps coming back to me again and again as I read the gospel narratives is that everything that Jesus did, He did as a Spirit filled man. The disciples were afraid and marvelled, and I would have too. In fact I do, but the verse that is coming to me as I type is “He who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father” (John 14:12). I like what Bill Johnson says about this incident “You have authority over every storm that you can sleep through.” Apparently puzzled, Jesus asks the disciple “Why are you so fearful? Do you not yet have faith” (verse 40)?

Not every translation of verse 40 brings out the force of the Greek. Other passages amplify what He is saying, for example “O unbelieving generation, how long shall I be with you” (Mark 9:19). I ask the Lord morning by morning not for  something not to just write in the blog, but for something that is applicable to my life. Well here it is. Over the years I have seen miracle after miracle and yet though at some level faith has taken,  I am not yet where I want to be. The Lord has used me to heal other, and I have had healings in my own body, yet I am a long way from seeing the grater things in my own ministry. What I am saying, is that once again the example of Jesus challenges me. Since there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ (Romans 8:1), the Lord is not calling us (me) out, He is calling us up. And the prayer that comes to me again is “I believe help my unbelief” (Mark 9:24).

It's not that He has not already given all that we need, but like all things that are given,  they need to be received, appropriated. He tells us “I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy” (Like 10:19). The enemy came to kill steal and destroy, and Jesus came to destroy the works of the enemy (1 John 3:8).  And He has left us as His hands and feet to accomplish this,  in our generation. I know this, and you know this,  and we need to rise to our calling. We need more that the prayer I believe help my unbelief, I do. We need revelation, the opening of our eyes to see the reality of what has been given,  so we may embrace it. Pray with me

Father I pray for myself and all reading this blog that "You would give us the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of You, that the eyes of our understanding being enlightened; that we may know what is the hope of Your calling, what are the riches of the glory of Your inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of Your power toward us who believe, according to the working of Your mighty power which You worked in Christ when You raised Him from the dead (Ephesians 1:17-20). Help us to see and embrace these things Lord, in Jesus Name Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment