Thursday, February 27, 2020

Oh, send out Your light and Your truth!...

... Let them lead me; Let them bring me to Your holy hill (Psalm 43:3). Verse 5 of this short Psalm repeats for the third time the refrain of Psalm 42 “Why are you cast down, O my soul ....” In this way, the two Psalms are linked, and the circumstances (the exile in Babylon) have not changed. Have you ever found yourself in a trial that seems to go on, and on forever? The Psalmist would well be able to sympathize with you! Last day we were talking about our need to practice, practice, practice in order to rise above the circumstance. Part of what I want to say this morning, is that it is one thing to get the victory, it's quite another to keep it! In particular when God does not come through for us in our timing, there is this tendency to feel abandoned by Him “Why have You cast me off” (verse 2)?

It seems that even Jesus had these feeling, for on the cross He cried out “My God, my God why have You forsaken me” (Matthew 27:46)? I have certainly known both the initial certainty of deliverance, together with the despair of God taking what for me is too much time for Him to come through for me. At such times I have need both His light and His truth. The Lord had promised that the exile would end in seventy years (Jeremiah 29:10). It must have seemed like a lifetime :)! Well it was a lifetime, but how were they to live in the meantime? Jeremiah had sent word to the exiles in Babylon saying, “Build houses and dwell in them; plant gardens and eat their fruit. Take wives ... etc.” (Jeremiah 29:4-6). In other words, in the midst of this ongoing trial, they are to live life to the full “dwell in the land and feed on His faithfulness” (Psalm 37:3b). If we are to trust and hope in the Lord we need Truth for this. For example (v 3a), we need to know He is faithful. We need to know that He is actively working all things out for our good (Romans 8:28).

I also need His light, His illumination, His leading (verse 3). For example, sometimes I need to get out of His way, and let Him work. At other times He may call me to act. He has told me that if I admit that I lack wisdom and ask Him for it, He will grant it (James 1:5). He knows I need reassurance over and over. Many times He sends me back to promises He has given, either in His word, or through a friend, a prophetic word, or a circumstance. What I must not do, it to withdraw from life, and/or settle for anything less than all He has for me. He has told me “ask and it shall be given, knock and the door shall be opened” (Matthew 7:7). And He has promised that when we have suffered for a “little while,” He will strengthen and settle me (1 Peter 5:10). I will dwell in the holy hill of His presence, and declare that He is my exceeding joy (verse 4).

Father, please grant us grace to be obedient in the long run. Help us to value and enjoy the journey, knowing You are faithful and will accomplished what You have declared (Jeremiah 29:10). In Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment