Tuesday, February 4, 2020

When my father and my mother forsake me ...

... Then the LORD will take care of me. We are continuing this morning with gleanings from Psalm 27. David has just reminded the Lord that he (David) always responds positively to God's invitation to seek His face. Nevertheless David still implores God to not leave him nor forsake him (verses 8,9). But then clearly receiving assurance that He will not, David can declare with this morning verse (10), that even in the midst of what is perhaps the most devastating or rejections (mother and father), there is one who loves him and will take care of him. Probably there is no one reading this blog who has not suffered some level of rejection, and once again the Scriptures point us to the God who is the God of all comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3), as the one who will help us to deal with our pain.

There is no indication in Scripture that David's mother and father forsook him, but he certainly received his share of rejection through Saul, for example, or from his son Absalom, who raised an army to overthrow David's throne. But there is one Jesus, whose mother and brothers turned against Him, thinking He was out of His mind (Mark 3:21). The Scripture tell that “We do not have a high priest who cannot be touched with the feelings of our infirmity, but was at all points tested as we are, but without sin” (Hebrews 4:15). In particular, He knows what you are going through this morning and he understands, He really does, and He is able to comfort and strengthen you.

But getting back to David, after choosing to trust God in the midst of his pain he ask the Lord to “Teach me Your way, and lead me in a smooth path” (verse 11). He is asking God to lead him, to show him how to navigate through his trials, and he knows this is often about waiting on God. His hope however is in God “I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living” (verse 13). He then instructs us to wait on the Lord in our trials, knowing that through them He will strengthen our hearts (verse 14).

Father, I want to thank You this morning that it is true that when I was forsaken, You took care of me, and You have promised to never leave me nor forsake me (Hebrews 13:5). I have to confess Lord, that waiting is hard. But every time I have wanted to give up, You have done something to keep me trusting that I will indeed see Your goodness in the here and now. And I thank You in advance Father for the fulfillment of Your promises in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment