Saturday, May 26, 2018

Answer a fool … (Proverbs 26:4), do not answer a fool… (Proverbs 26:5)

So to answer or not to answer? The full texts of these two verses read “Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you also be like him,” and “Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes.” Many would see this as an outright contradiction, but if you think that’s the case, then you need to look a little deeper. Proverbs are pithy sayings, sayings that need to be unpacked to be understood. And the clue here, is to be found in the second part of each of the two Proverbs, which are set side by side for a reason.

In particular, there are two dangers here. The first is the danger of becoming like the fool, and the second, that the fool continues on his way uncorrected. Consider the following two scenarios. In the first you are a new believer, you are easily swayed not yet being established in the truth. The fool has the gift of the gab, and as the saying goes can talk the rear end of a horse. Best to stay away until you are more established. In the second scenario, the fool is your son. You love him and you know how to gently show him the error of his ways, and you do it!

There are many things in the Bible that I still don’t understand, but my experiences is that as I continue to read I have many clarifying revelations. So I learned to not quickly jump to conclusions when I see something what appears to be a contradiction, or something I don’t understand. And time after time, these clarifying revelations have just pointed me to a deeper truth. In particular I learned to hold apparently contradictory topics together in tension and to ask the Lord to show me how two things that appear to contradict can both be true at the same time. And as I say time after time, He has given me clarifying revelation. In this particular case the clarifying question to ask is when to answer and when not?

Father, having spent my entire career in the university setting, I have needed Your wisdom many times, to know when to answer or not, the apparently wise. It’s relatively easy to be humble with those who are humble, but to be humble with those who are arrogant? That’s a different kettle of fish! Thank You that I am starting to discern when I needed to cease and desist because I am becoming like them. And that means Lord, that there are times I need to allow them the last word, even when there are still a bunch of things that I could say! But You didn’t chase after the rich young ruler, You let him go (Matthew 19:22). And I need your wisdom this morning Father, to know when to let go, and when to pursue. Thank You that You promise wisdom when we ask You for it (James 1:5) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment