Sunday, May 20, 2018

Blows that hurt cleanse away evil, As do stripes the inner depths of the heart

The stripes talked about in this quote from Proverbs 20:30, refer to lacerations on the back left by a whip. So the proverb is talking about punishment. The proverb reveals the Lord’s intention for discipline, namely that it is intended to be redemptive, to cleanse away evil. In reality, punishment can actually harden the heart, especially if it’s not given in love! We are told “My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens” (Hebrews 12:5, 6). And it is more than possible to despise and be discouraged by discipline, even when it is given in love. But He does want us to know, that He disciplines us because He loves us. This is how a loving father deals with his son.

The blows talked about here can be physical as in incarceration, or they can be emotional caused by rejection, the consequences of our own sin, or the pain caused by the sin of others etc. Whichever, we will not live a pain-free life! The Scripture says of Jesus “Although He was a Son, He learned obedience through the things that He suffered” (Hebrews 5:6). And part of what we can learn from His example, is that it is our reaction to suffering that is important. In terms of discipline we read “Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it” (Hebrews 12:7). So the question we need to ask ourselves is “Are we willing to yield to the training the Lord either allows or sends, so that we may learn the intended lesson from our suffering?”

Sometimes, we may need to suffer many “blows” before we are willing to yield to His discipline and his training. In the prison ministry in which I’m involved, I see some of the men coming back time after time. I have asked them which of you wants to come back again after you get out? So far no takers! In my own life I know that I had to come to the end of myself before the emotional toil, the inner stripes of the heart, led me to repentance, true repentance. True repentance is much more than being sorry that I got caught, sorry that I have to suffer the consequences of my sin. Indeed, the Scripture talks about a godly sorrow that leads to repentance. True repentance involves a change of heart and mind, along with a willingness to change. When faith is added to this, it leads to salvation without regret (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Father, I can no longer regret my past. I regret neither the pain of the consequences of my own sin, nor the pain of the consequences of the hurt I received at the hands of others. I now know myself well enough to know that it took all the above to bring me to my senses, and to keep me coming back! And I did need to be brought to my senses! Thankfully, Just like the prodigal son, I came to myself, I came to moments of clarity where I could see things clearly. I saw my need, I repented and continue to repent. I turned to You and in You I found life and health and peace. And I thank and praise You again this morning for the many, many blows, that brought me to You in the first place, and then kept me coming back to You. You are truly great, and truly loving. Thank You, thank You, thank You in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment