Monday, May 14, 2018

The LORD looked with favour on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favour

Cain and Able, the sons of Adam and Eve, had brought offerings to the Lord. Cain, the first born who worked the soil, had brought fruit, Able on the other hand, a keeper of the sheep, had brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat (Genesis 4:2-4). We must not, I think. read into this as the main point, the later revelation of a preference for animal sacrifice. In particular, it is worth noting that Abel’s offering was of the firstborn and was extravagant (i.e. the firstborn and more than one - their fat). Of Cain’s offering we only read it was “some fruit.” Also of note, is that it was not just the things offered that received favour or not, it was, as in today’s quote, the offerer themselves who received favour or not (Genesis 4:4,5).

Cain’s negative response, which we will look at next day, gives the clue as to what is going on here. Even if I am wrong about the preference for animal sacrifice, was it not the Lord’s prerogative to teach Cain that perhaps he needed to barter with his brother for sheep. But of more import of what perhaps needed to be taught, was a lukewarm attitude to the Lord will cause Him to vomit us out of His mouth (Revelation 3:16). What the Lord requires, is a humble, contrite, teachable heart and spirit (James 4:6; Psalm 51:17).

We are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength (Mark 12:30). Anything less is not worth of Him and the sacrifice He made to purchase our salvation. Even to us humans, a love affair without passion is not worth having. Nobody wants a limp lover, it’s like kissing a wet sponge, yuck!

Father, forgive me for the times I have given less than my all, less than my very best. You gave Your best for me, and Your passion for me is boundless. How can I give You less than all I am, and all I have. I repent this morning of the times of apathy. Lord I can only love You with passion when You give me Your passion. So then I am loving you back with the love You have given me, for You are love (1 John 4:8). I choose to give You my all this morning Lord in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment