Wednesday, September 4, 2019

David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart

One of the things that I love about the Bible, is its authenticity. I mean it does not sugar coat its heroes. Peter, for example, after declaring he will never deny Jesus, does exactly that three times within 24 hours (Mark 66-72). James and John want to call down lighting and thunder on those who rejected Jesus (Luke 9:54,55). And then there is King David a murderer and an adulterer (2 Samuel 11:1-25). And yet the Lord says of David that he is “a man after My own heart, who will do all My will” (Acts 13:22). The beautiful thing about God, is that when He forgives He also chooses to forget. In particular “I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more” (Hebrews 8:12).

I have described the first two decades of my Christian walk as being characterized as operating out of an orphan spirit. Coming out of that and into the reality of knowing, in all the different ways that we can know, that I am a beloved and favoured son, was a process. It was an often very painful journey, along which I found myself medicating my pain with addictions. There were periods of sobriety followed by a fall, followed by a period of sobriety etc. The Lord never left me, but I certainly did not have the peace and joy that is my birthright, my inheritance during those times. One day when I was worshiping the Lord, He told me “You are so faithful Phil.” ‘But Lord I replied, 'what about …’ His response  was  “I don’t remember that.” I mean He really means it when when He says “Your sins and iniquities I will remember no more.” So David had repented and confessed his sin and he was forgiven, and what God chose to remember was the times he wanted to do God's will.

Yes, the Lord blotted out David sin, but the consequences remained (Galatians 6:7). Sometimes He softens them, but in David's case his son Absalom’s rebellion is likely a consequence(2 Samuel 15). As we have been discussing, the sins of the fathers are visited on the children (see August’s posts). But the thing that touched my heart this morning is related to the last part of the quote from Acts 13:22, namely “who will do all My will.” And what this means for you and me, is that no matter how badly we have messed up in the past, when we turn and repent and forsake our sin and seek as much as possible within us to trust and obey, then He also says of you and me “He (she) is a man (woman) after My own heart.


Father, since You choose to remember my sins and inequities no more, neither should I. Sometimes Lord the hardest person to forgive is me, but unforgiveness is a sin no matter who it is I am not forgiving. And that is good news in a way, because if it is sin, then I can repent of it, confess it, and with Your help forsake it. I will then be forgiven and cleansed. There is no one like You Lord, and I thank and praise You again this morning in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment