Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The first Ephesians prayer (III) The hope to which He has called you

Continuing with Paul’s prayer in Ephesians 1:15-21, Paul prays that God would give a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him “in order that they might know the hope to which He has called us” (verse 18). There are two aspects of hope to talk about which in some ways should be seamless. Firstly there is the hope of heaven in the hereafter,  and secondly hope in the here and now. In terms of the here and now the Lord speaks to Israel in exile saying “‘I know the plans I have for you,’ says the LORD, ‘plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope’” (Jeremiah 29:11).   This  hope of the future would be realized by the in gatherings of Israel.

Recently I was speaking with a dear brother who is wrestling with the mess his life is in. The mess is  a direct result of his having spent years addicted to drugs.  He expressed that it was always going to be difficult like this, and I told him “That’s a lie!” The Lord has called us to hope, yes hope in the hereafter, but also hope in the here and now.  We need to get a revelation of this,  an unveiling of this truth that is accompanied by the Grace not only to receive it, but to rest in it. It then becomes an “anchor for the soul,  both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil” (Hebrews 6:19).

This is intended to be a very present reality. As I write this morning I recently received the news that a loved one  has drifted away and is involved with those who are likely to take him further down that path.  I knew that I needed to release him and I symbolically I stretched out my hands and offered him up to the Lord.  Like the father of the prodigal son, I knew that I had to let him go in order to win him back.  I also knew that I needed to get out of the Lord’s way.  I can however pray, claim His promises and declare “As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.” Is it any coincidence that I have recently been hearing teaching on perfect love casting out all fear. I think not!

Father, these times are crossroads, will I trust you, or will I try to fix things myself by nagging and/or manipulating? The prodigal’s father let him go completely,  and trusted him to You. Thank You for Your grace to do this Lord, and for the strange sense that this has  drawn, and will continue to draw,  me even closer to You, and  into the presence behind the veil, in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment