Friday, September 6, 2019

Outreach (II) Becoming a person people will ask about the reason for my hope

I was recently talking to a struggling brother, who was feeling that it's always going to be like this. But if we tell ourselves that,  it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.  After all it is “according to your faith be it unto you” (Matthew 9:29). Certainly,  if we want to be among those who will be asked for the reason for our hope (1 Peter 3:15), we will need to be people of hope. Does that mean there should never be times of discouragement? Well we would not be human! Accordingly, Paul prayed that the Lord would give us “a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, that we might know the hope of His calling” (Ephesians 1:17,18). And we need to pray this for ourselves and for each other. You see  hope is the anchor for our soul (Hebrews 6:19).

Notice in the 1 Peter reference, that is it not about our being perfect. It is rather about growing in wisdom and grace and the knowledge of God (2 Peter 3:16). You see we are either going forward, or we are moving back. But we must not judge ourselves as the world judges. I mean “the world looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart” (1 Samuel 16:7). I have the privilege of walking alongside some new converts, who just recently came out of deep drug addictions. From the world's point of view their lives are in a mess, but they have joy, and most importantly hope. Others see it, and they can be bold and testify of their wonderful deliverance by God. But what about those of us who have been on the road for a long time,  and are not exhibiting the sort of radical change we see in new believers?

I am talking to all of us here, me included, it is too easy to loose our passion and move towards being lukewarm. It really helps to be around those who are on fire for the Lord, but also around those how are actively in recovery,  even if some are struggling. There is a phenomenon that I have noticed over and over,  and I am no exception. It is that people who get involved in recovery circles because they want to help “those people,” inevitably eventually discover that they are one of "those people.” What I am saying, is that whether we admit it or not, we all have issues, and at some level are all in denial about them. But one way to be living examples of hope is to be dealing with, and allowing God to deal with our issues. It is the only way to be being transformed. A good question to ask ourselves is “Am I experiencing life in all its fullness, and do I have joy unspeakable and full of glory?” If not, I need to press in.

Father, the verse that comes to me as I type this morning is “Let he who things he stands take care lest he fall” (1 Corinthians 10:12). It is good to learn that in whatsoever state to be content (Philippians 4:11), but Lord I am asking this morning for myself and those who will agree, that You give us a godly discontent when we are not moving forward the way that You want us to. And I pray Lord as You answer this prayer,  that many will see and fear and put their trust in You in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment