Monday, September 2, 2019

Truth (III) The Church of the answering fool

In Proverbs 26:4 we read “Do not answer a fool,” but in the very next verse we read “Answer a fool.” So tongue in cheek I envisage a church spit over the issue of whether or not to answer a fool. Many would see an outright contradiction here. But as with many apparent contradictions in the Scripture, we need to look a little deeper. The full texts of two verses read “Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you also be like him,” and “Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes” (verse 5). Proverbs are pithy sayings, sayings that often need to be unpacked in order to be understood. And the clue here, is to be found in the second part of each Proverb.

There are two dangers here. The first is that  of becoming like the fool (verse 4), and the second, that the fool continues on his way uncorrected (verse 5). Consider the following two scenarios. In the first you are a new believer, you are easily swayed not yet being established in the truth. The fool has the gift of the gab, and as the saying goes can talk the rear end off a horse. Best to stay away until you are more established. In the second scenario, the fool is your son. You love him and need at least try to gently show him the error of his ways, and so you answer him (Galatians 6:1)!

There are many things in the Bible that I still don’t understand, but my experiences is that when I read and meditate on what I read, I am often given clarifying revelation. So I learned to not quickly jump to conclusions either when I see something that looks like a contradiction, or when I don’t understand. In fact there are reasons these two scriptures are put side by side. In particular, there are times and circumstances when a certain action is the right thing to do, and times and circumstances when that very same action is the wrong thing to do. And both of the two equal and opposite instruction need to be in the Scripture.  In this way we can be guided by Holy Spirit as to which of the two options is appropriate in that season. The father of the fool described above may need to do nothing but pray and then  “stand still and see the deliverance of the Lord (2 Chronicles 20:17). On the other hand he may need to stop crying out to the Lord (Exodus 14:15) and speak to his son.

Father, having spent my entire career in the university setting, I have needed Your wisdom many times, to know when and when not to answer the apparently wise. It’s relatively easy to be humble with those who are humble, but to be humble with those who are arrogant is a different kettle of fish! It is too easy for my pride to rise when I encounter the arrogant. And it can be difficult because I may need to allow them the last word, even when there are still a bunch of things that I could say! But You didn’t chase after the rich young ruler, You let him go (Matthew 19:22). And I need Your wisdom Father, to know when to let go, and when to pursue. Thank You that You promise wisdom when we ask You for it (James 1:5) in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment