Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Culture wars (III) Do we have a right to not be offended?

Let me say up front, I do not approve of,  nor use offensive language, nor do I behave in Let me say up front, I do not approve of,  nor use offensive language, nor do I behave in offensive ways. I am for inclusion,  acceptance and respect, no matter what the person’s views. I had a homosexual man in my fellowship many times and he was always made to feel welcome. We are all made in God’s image, and as a believer it is incumbent upon me to relate to people as Jesus did with dignity and respect. In fact I use the story of the woman taken in adultery (John 8:1-11), as a model. Jesus did not condemn her, but neither did he condone her adultery (verse 11). I believe it is Holy Spirit's job to convict, not mine (John16:8). But I do need to say that in the same way LGBT+ groups would not allow me to promote traditional morality at their meetings, neither do I permit the promotion of homosexuality at ours.What Jesus did condemn was hypocrisy (Matthew 23:13). And just as there are people of integrity on both the left and the right, there are unfortunately hypocrites there too, people who are willing to use, and even promote, the culture wars for political gain!
As I say, I try to treat everyone with dignity and respect, but it's not always reciprocated. For some the world is divided into either the oppressed, or the oppressor.  So then  if you are not oppressed, you must be an oppressor. In particular if you are white (even apparently if you are oppressed), then you are the recipient of “white privilege,” the system of unearned privileges and advantages, that have been unjustly provided to white people simply because of their race. And since I am white, it seems that in some circles my very presence (regardless of my behaviour or attitude) is offensive. And since I am also a Christian, it's ten times worse! So let me ask again, do you have the right to not to be offended in this, or in any other way? I do not deny you the freedom to choose to be offended, you are free to do that. But if you do, you are not free from the consequences of living your entire life trapped in the prison of offence (see 19 October 2019 “The power and pollution of offence and resentment”)!
In a viral Youtube video, Cathy Newman asked Jordon Peterson why his right to freedom of speech should trump a person’s right not to be offended. He replied “You’re certainly willing to risk offending me in the pursuit of truth. It’s been rather uncomfortable. Why should you have the right to do that? You’re doing what you should do, which is digging a bit to see what the hell is going on.” Many may not see the double standard here. What if I am offended at you rejecting me simply because I am white? Will you extend to me the right not to be offended in this way? But actually I would choose not to be offended, because I cannot stay offended and still be free. I do however have the right to put appropriate boundaries in place to block offensive communication.
Father, my aim is to be offence proof. Offence and bitterness are poison, and  so  with Your Help, I will not allow anything such thing to control me. Help me Lord when it is difficult to live this out,   in Jesus Name Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment