Saturday, November 9, 2019

In all kinds of trials, count it all joy (IV) Lay your Isaac down

Many are puzzled by the story of God telling Abraham “Take your son your only son Isaac, whom you love (the very one who is your heart),  and sacrifice him on Mount Moriah” (Genesis 22:2, words in brackets mine). Since the Lord rescued Issac in the nick of time (vv 10-14), some see this as an early teaching that God does not require child sacrifice. And well,  this is true (see Micah 6:6-8). Others, also rightly,  see it as a foreshadowing the Cross, and of  God not commanding anything that He himself is not willing to do (see John 1:29). But there is another application, and it's the need to let go and let God. It applies to our children, but also to anything we may be holding onto too tightly. I like the illustration of how you hold a little yellow bird. If you hold it too tightly,  you'll crush it, if you hold it too loosely, it will fly away.

It’s not just children we can hold too tightly or too loosely, and  many times we are not aware. But when we are in relationship with the Lord, seeking to give our all, He will gently (or not so gently if we are not good at listening) show us our fault. One of the indicators is that we loose our joy. Again as I mentioned last day,  I'm not talking about not grieving. Rather I'm talking about when our joy has withered away in the normal circumstances of life. Joy is part of the fruit of the Spirt, and when we loose it, it's one of the indicators that something is wrong. And I'm finding myself in this very place this morning, as a prayer partner recently drew to my attention to the fact that I seem to be resenting at some level, being asked to do things that are usually a joy.

In a different  conversation,  I was saying that I understand well how social workers get burnt out, and finish up operating without compassion. In fact I don’t know who those who don’t know the Lord manage to maintain compassion at all. But more generally, life has a way of throwing us curve balls that, far too easily,  suck the life, love,  joy and peace out of us (Galatians 5:22). And when He draws our attention to these things, it’s time to come aside, take His yoke upon us, learn of Him and find His life giving rest for our souls (Matthew 11:28-30). You see when He tells us (as He does), that we are to count it all joy in the midst of all kinds of trails (James 1:2), He is pointing to, or reminding us of, His intention that we be more than conquerors (Romans 8:37). And when we are not moving in that direction, there is likely some Issac, some burden we need to surrender  and lay at His feet.

Father,  I lay my Isaacs down again this morning Lord. I don’t know how many times You  will need to show me I'm either taking on too much,  or too little,  responsibility.  But I do know Lord,  that You want me to be patient with myself.  And I come to you this morning,  deeply in need of Your rest. Please restore the joy of my salvation.  Thank You Lord,  that You are far more willing to give these things,  than I am to ask for them  in Jesus Name I pray Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment