Wednesday, November 6, 2019

In all kinds of trials, count it all joy (I) You’re joking right?

Last day we were saying that in the midst of suffering, we can find meaning in life by accepting responsibility for our lives.   I find it  fascinating talking about these things, to the men in prison.  It’s also heart wrenching to hear of some born into biker gangs,  or alcoholism,  or sexual abuse,  or violence. Since most of the guys are white, it makes the  concept of white privilege something of a joke, all be it a bad one.  If anyone has a right to victimhood,  surely  it’s these guys. And there are some advantages to victimhood. Well, what are they, you ask? For a start there is the sympathy and the validation of your victimhood you get from friends, and you don’t have to do the hard work of taking responsibility,  or  the pain of recovery.  Then there's the “sweet taste” of taking  revenge, and the possibility of the judge considering extenuating circumstances,  in sentencing.   Of course, we don’t want to admit that we are no different from the perpetrators,  when we revenge.  And it's astonishing,  in a way,  how often victims become victimizers.

But in another way it is not astonishing at all,  since the default response  seems to be escalation.  This is why we need laws. It's also why the introduction of the ten commandments  was so very, very  revolutionary in a culture where parents needed to be told not to sacrifice their children in Molech’s fire  (Leviticus 18:21; Jeremiah 19:5).  But still we might want to ask “Do we not have a right to not  suffer?” I'm not going to touch that with a ten foot barge pole. But what seems to be a fact,  is that we all suffer (John 16:33). A better question is “How are we to deal with suffering?”  In terms of taking responsibility, we are not responsible for the evil  and suffering perpetrated on us. We are however, responsible for our reaction to it all, that and for reaping the consequences of our own bad choices.  As I have already said, when we respond in the same way as the perpetrators,  we become no different from them.  So the questions become more about the what and the how of our response.

It's simple, but not easy.  “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (Romans 12:21).  Yes, but how? I needed a higher power, someone bigger and stronger, wiser and more powerful than me, and someone who will ultimately bring justice.  The men who put together the original twelve step program knew these  Bible based  principles would work  at some level, even if the higher power was not Christ. As I have attended some of these twelve step programs I see that there are, those who do get victory over their addictions, many in this sense are conquerors.  But I want to be more than a conqueror (Romans 8:37), and I don't see how that can happen unless I take Jesus as both  my Lord and saviour.  So am I joking? Well no, but even with Jesus, I cannot go from victim to rejoicing in suffering (James 1:2) in a single step. And what I am saying, is that it starts with taking responsibility for my life.

Father, some of the things You  tell us to do seem impossible, but I have learnt that when we totally surrender to You, You give us the resources to  move towards doing them  (Philippians 2:12,13). So I'm asking for  them this morning Lord,  in Jesus Name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment